lightweight retainers + keepers, lash caps?

this may be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if you use lightweight retainers and keepers on stock valves do you need to use lash caps? can you use the stock ones? or do the retainers and keepers only work on ss valves? thanks this is my first engine build.

also anyone got any suggestions for valve size with these mods:

26lb spring
retainers keepers
1.3 ratio rockers
billet flywheel
billet rod
black mamba
8 degree timing+
fuel pump (getting a mikuni soon too)
filter
jet

Yes you want lash caps. Good valves and good quality retainers are relatively cheap insurance against hopefully not dropping a valve. The stock valves and retainers are pretty cheesy and dropping a valve will most of the time junk ur motor.

Lash caps are needed.

That said I know of some aftermarket valves that do not need them, but I think its a good thing to use with a high lift cam.

I use the kit of retainer keeper and spring from ARC racing.
No complaints at all....

Make sure the parts you buy are designed to work with each other and are compatable with your rockers do not mix and match.
Ask the vender....

Lash caps are needed.

That said I know of some aftermarket valves that do not need them, but I think its a good thing to use with a high lift cam.

I use the kit of retainer keeper and spring from ARC racing.
No complaints at all....

Make sure the parts you buy are designed to work with each other and are compatable with your rockers do not mix and match.
Ask the vender....
got 25mm 24mm ss valves, lash caps, 1.3 ratio rockers, heavy guide plate, molypush rod, billet lifters all from smallenginecams.com for my predator

vwfan79

i just went ahead got the lash caps and ss valves sooo yeahh lol, but you really think 8-9k? Shooting for tops 7500
Ecspecially once you upgrade to the Mukini carb, yes you will have no problems spinning 8k+, that is whats holding my motor back is the stock carb but I'm happy with it so why change it. I can spin 7300 as is so srcew it for now.

Like I said in the other thread #26's are only good to .325" lift you will be running .351" lift if you use the 1.3's. Too much lift = coil bind = No Bueno:doah:

I didnt have coil bind with the 1.3 rockers on a mamba cam (i checked it myself- stuck .020" feeler gages in 2 coils on each spring) but i did trash the valve train on that motor after about maybe 20 hours. Spun the motor 8100 rpms and finally cracked a rocker arm.

Last edited:
all from small engine cams

LIGHTWEIGHT RETAINERS AND LOCKS FOR SINGLE OR DUAL VALVE SPRINGS
WITH "SUZUKI LOCKS" (FOR .040" LOWER INSTALLED HEIGHT FOR MORE SPRING LOAD)

1.3 RATIO STAMPED ROCKERS

WENT WITH 27MM INTAKE 25MM EXHAUST SS VALVES
+ 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB + PORTING

LASH CAPS (PAIR)

PUSHRODS 1/4" O.D. CHROMEMOLY
5.070" (.180" SHORTER THAN STOCK FOR ISKY BILLET LIFTERS),

ISKY BILLET LIFTERS

26LB SPRINGS

^^^
any comments on set up?

The rockers i cracked were just stamped 1.3 ratio rockers from agk or isky. Ive had a few different sets and dont remember which ones i used in that motor

Does anyone have a pic of what the retainers and keepers looked like installed without rockers intstalled yet i just put ss valves with retainers and keepers in my head just wanna make sure mine or seated right on the valves