Lil Indian (1960's) 80212 3hp

markus

I am building up at least one maybe two 80212 3hp engines, most likely 1968 date coded. Regarding the side case covers they used (ribbed with the 4 mounting lugs) I am pretty sure that they only had one oil fill hole drilled with a fill plug??? If so was in the front or rear??? Anyone lucky enough to have an original from say 1967-69 that can verify? Both the ribbed sidecovers I have are dual fill so I would like see if I can modify and permanently install a fill plug so it looks more correct once assembled and painted, gotta do some JB welding on the old blocks anyway to fill the points plunger holes as I am installing magnetrons on all of the early blocks I am using, may as well do it all at once.

Thank you!

markus

I have a original 1968 lil Indian engine but it is a 2.25hp. only one fill in the front.
That will work, surfing eBay today one popped up for a 17 bucks shipped with only one fill on the front so I went ahead and snagged it. Still gonna try filling the hole in one of the others and see how it comes out.

Thanks Karen for checking for me!

Hi Marcus
I have a 1968 and 1969 Briggs model 80212 3hp and both engines have one oil plug gas tank side I also have two 1977 model 80212 3hp engines and they both have two oil plugs front and back.I think they went to two plugs in the early 1970’s.All of the engines have the Raised X 4 hole side covers.Both 60’s engines are off the original bikes and never have been apart.If you need anymore info please let me know.You have helped me plenty in the past.
Thank You
Jay

I have repaired filled, and tapped a oil fill hole in a old engine block with JB weld to see if it would work.It seems to be fine but I have not run the engine yet but it seems to be holding.
Jay

markus

Thanks for the info Jay! Neat that the magnetrons come with a plug, I have a box of magnetron coils here that I just pull from....anything new style or later model I just take usable parts from and give the rest to the scrap guy as the blocks, carb, tank etc.. differ on them. so I have never actually ordered one. I think you are right about them going to dual fill in the 70's/post mini bike availability I have one 81212 (steel sleeve version) that I have not fully torn down yet that I suspect is mid 70's (shroud is wrong on it) and the sidecover is dual fill. The other raised lug/ribbed cover I have I pulled from an 80's model dual as well, the one on its way is early 60's and its single fill. Hopefully its in good shape, will save some labor. Shooting for 1968 (If my stamping comes out good) the sidecover is exposed up to that year for the most part on LI's so I want it to look as close to correct as possible with what I can get my hands on.

Your very welcome Marcus.If you need pics or info about the 60’s 80212 please let me know.I will be happy to help That 81212 sounds like a awesome find.
Jay