Lil Indian 2 speed secondary clutch

FS: Original Fairbanks Morse secondary clutch. Slightly used drum/sprocket assembly with NOS clutch shoes installed.
120.00 shipped. Postal Money order only please.
Regards,
Joe 51

Joe, This may be the wrong place to ask this and if so I apologize up front...... How can you tell that this is a "secondary" cluth? I don't understand how it/they work..... I have a Rupp here that's been around here forever, I have no idea where it even came from, it has a clutch on the jackshaft and I look at it and scratch my head..... Can you or anyone else spread some wisdom my way? Thank you, Patch

Hello Patch,
The listed clutch is specific to the Lil Indian. I also have a few NOS Rupp specific secondary clutches. If you can post a pic I am confident that forum members can help ID what you have. For sure. If I can help I would be glad to as well.
Regards, Joe51

Hello,
What you have there appears to be a std. max torque 11 0r 12 tooth primary clutch. Iv'e used the 12 tooth for a secondary clutch many years ago. Couple of things
* The clutch should be driven off the motor
* You are missing the 1st gear which is also driven off the motor
* the motor had a clutch mounted to it that had 2 sprockets on it.
I'll take a picture tonight of the correct Rupp set up and PM it to you
Joe

This is a comet 2 speed set up

this is the comet 2 speed set up mounted,the big gear you see is 1st gear.The bike will use 1st gear to take off and once the clutch behind it spins fast enough it engages and takes over(it has a smaller tooth sprocket allowing it to be second gear)once in second gear the bigger gear freewheels on its sprag(like a 10 speed bicycle when your not pedaling)until you slow down then the clutch on the jackshaft behind the bigger sprag gear disengages and the bigger sprag gear takes over and your in 1st gear again.I hope my explanation makes sense.