'Lil Indian Bearcat

I was just given (most of) a ‘Lil Indian Bearcat, which I plan to restore and will probably end up with some modifications due to parts availability and the need for a replacement of the missing engine.

I do have some questions for forum:
  • I know I will need the serial number to help date the year of manufacture. I believe that it is on the engine plate. I have done some cleaning of the engine plate, but did not find the serial number. Where specifically should I be looking?
  • The bike has a scuff brake with the brake lever in front of the right side foot rest. Is that the proper brake and location? The brake lever has had a lot of welding, so it appeared to have been repaired or modified.
  • Is there a band brake on the clutch/torque converter, activated by a hand control? All of that is missing, but I did receive new aftermarket parts that could serve that purpose.
  • In one of the later brochures (1971) it appears that the wheels are larger diameter with spoked wheels. Might these smaller steel wheels be a replacement?
  • I know the seat is incorrect. There are snaps on the side and front of the seat base for upholstery. Would those have been for the original upholstery?
  • I see some of the brackets below the tank have been trimmed, so I am not certain if the tank was replaced, with different brackets added.
Thanks. Any and all information and thoughts are appreciated.
Dick Randall

Attachments

markus

your current wheels and brake assembly are off a Bird or Sears mini bike. The current tank and seat is from bikes that MTD made

I've never been up close and personal with the spoke wheel LI's but there have a been a couple examples show up over the years on here, you should be able to find some info or someone hopefully that has one can chime in on wheel brand used, seat, Tank etc..

cfh

Here's my 1972 Little Indian Hellcat. It's largely original. Had to re-make the seat. And the carb is a replacement slide carb. Throttle and kill switch are not original (but more functional.) The thing really flies! But it does not handle that well, it's a bit odd. My other 10" wheel bikes generally handle a lot better.

Here's my 1972 Little Indian Hellcat. It's largely original. Had to re-make the seat. And the carb is a replacement slide carb. Throttle and kill switch are not original (but more functional.) The thing really flies! But it does not handle that well, it's a bit odd. My other 10" wheel bikes generally handle a lot better.

What are your wheel and tire sizes? Thanks.
Dick

On closer examination I found the serial number stamped on the front fork gusset. The SN is 25824.

I'm looking for ideas on the year manufactured. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick