Lil Indian Cobra?

I got this Lil Indian off CL awhile back, posted for 16 minutes!!! Lucky me!!! The previous owner stripped it down to bare metal, and was gonna paint it and put a different rear wheel on with a brake, but never got around to it. It's missing some parts, the seat and rear fender bracket were cut off, forks are bent, but I have already straightened them. The motor runs, but is in rough shape, I'll probably put a 3hp on it that I have. There is still some paint under the left grip, metallic flake purple, number on right rear axle plate is 47986, I think the grips and throttle are original from some ads and pics I've seen. Just thought I'd share!!! :smile:

I threw in a pic with it next to my stretched doodlebug because it's crazy how small it is!!!

20150710_073716.jpg 20150710_073725.jpg 20150710_073555.jpg 20150715_084709.jpg

Great find--you will love the bike and you got the 4 inch mags which are hard to find. If there is a round hole in the engine plate it is 1969 and later--no hole 1968 and earlier. Most of the later models ran Techumseh engines but at the time if Briggs were available they used them. You can research the history of the bike on the internet and one of the brothers--Ray still deals in mini bike parts for his business --Allied Leisure in Mich.

The grips appear to be Gran Turismo and I personally haven't seen where they were used on any LiL Indians but maybe somebody else has? The brake will be a pain for you if you don't have it already.

Very nice start to a great bike. I had my '68 out ripping it around this past Saturday and regardless of the size they are a ton of fun to ride.

Well there's a hole under were the motor sits, so 1969 or later. Tecumseh's are hard to find here in AZ, so I'll stick with Briggs! THX Boatguy!

There is an ad with what looks like a similar throttle but different grips, but it's for earlier models. After reading the history of these bikes, I guess it's kinda hard to narrow some things down when the bike is incomplete. Harleys Papa recently posted a pic of a Lil Indian with the same grips and throttle. No brake caliper with mine, I've been looking for one!!! THX Ajaxmini!

Yeah, it's generally pretty difficult to nail down the year to year specifics but not to difficult to get it close. They were using whatever was available for the time to get bikes together and out the door so it's not impossible to see something that wasn't typically there. Not only does the motor plate tell approximately whether it's an early or late but the 4" mags also give a good starting point as well. So knowing that you have a Tecumseh powered bike and 4" mags puts it somewhere around late '68 and up. There are other tells as well which I've been trying to compile for my restorations such as the brake caliper which there were two different types used for the most part. Yours would be the later version. There are some tubing changes that help. I think it was stated that they started stamping the date along with the number around 1970 so if that be true it'd still put yours as a late '68 to '69. I say late '68 because I believe it says in the history that they used up the Briggs till early '68 and then transitioned into the Tecumsehs after that. There is tons of information in many threads on here if you are really into making it original. Otherwise, keep asking questions and we'll jump in and answer as we know. There are a couple members that are more fluent in them if there is a question that hasn't really been answered to this point.

Thx for more info! When you say later version brake caliper, do you mean this kind...

$_12ind1.jpg $_12lil3.jpg $_12lil1.jpg

It looks like it would fit? (of coarse it sold on ebay for $242.50!!!) The bracket on mine has 3/8" holes 1" apart.
THX! Again!

Last edited:
There's also a guy that repops the calipers I have the repop ones on both of my bikes and they work great I can probably find his email if your interested I think he gets 100 .00 for them Eddie

Nice little bike. Nice score.:thumbsup:
THX!!!

Yes, nice little bike. The brake calipers are out there to be found, just gotta keep you eyes peeled :eek:
THX!!! I've been looking.

There's also a guy that repops the calipers I have the repop ones on both of my bikes and they work great I can probably find his email if your interested I think he gets 100 .00 for them Eddie
I am very interested, that would be great if you could find his email, and post some pics please. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind that would be great. I knew that someone makes them but have yet to see pics. Hope your enjoying those bikes, glad they went to a good home.
If they are the ones I'm thinking of, they look identical to the originals Nate. Not the ones that have the same form, fit, and function that were being sold not so long ago on eBay. I've never bought any of them (that I know of) but this isn't the first time I've heard that they are nice.

20150820_182337.jpg 20150820_182351.jpg 20150820_182619.jpg here's the pics the brake lever dosnt com with it . Its just a lever off of a fox I hade lyning around also it don't have the ribed inner pad .it comes with a plain flat inner pad but there is a guy on ebay that sells the ribed inner pad the guys email that makes the caliper is steelsugeons@msn.com his name is david watro I hope this helps

View attachment 76604 View attachment 76605 View attachment 76606 here's the pics the brake lever dosnt com with it . Its just a lever off of a fox I hade lyning around also it don't have the ribed inner pad .it comes with a plain flat inner pad but there is a guy on ebay that sells the ribed inner pad the guys email that makes the caliper is steelsugeons@msn.com his name is david watro I hope this helps
Thanks for taking the time and posting this info. I've seen those on eBay before; Someone also makes them where they look like the originals but I've never seen pics... Thanks, Nate