Lil Indian Colors

Hello
Can anyone tell me if the colors for the century series Lil Indian bikes are just red,yellow,and blue?Also what are all of the colors for the grand series bikes? Are there differant colors for each year and model?Hard to figure this out with my limited brochures.
Thank You
Jay

markus

Pre 1966 adds usually just list red yellow and blue for color choices if they list colors at all. 1967 models started showing colors in the brochures if they were sold as assembled (the '66 literature I have does not show color choices-someone else might have something more extensive from that time though. They only offered the 400-450-500 as of June 1, 1966)

From Feb, 1st 1967 dated sales brochure

400 Standard blue enamel on assembled (came in a spray can on the kit version)
450 Apache gold- vibro enamel (there is an original example survivor one of these on ebay right now if I am not mistaken)
500 Prairie blue -vibro enamel (Member TomS has an original survivor example on of these)
600 Indian Red- vibro enamel

The next season of bikes, the Century and Grand names came into play. I would imagine these were being created in later 1967 but would be 1968 models. Those names were used to differentiate the now 2 very different versions of bikes they were making. Century being the small frames 400-now 700 models and Grand being the larger, usually fully suspended frames 4000-6000 models at that time.

The color choices in 1967 stayed with the lineup into 1968 catalog, only exception I see is in the parts listing standard blue is dropped for standard red. Also they only list colors on the models that are NOT offered as kits with exception to one model...the 4500

Thanks For the great feedback Marcus.
Now I need to figure out the colors for my two 1970 bikes.The one I have with original paint (maybe 400)looks like a maroonish color.Hard to tell because it is faded badly.I got the (Maybe 400)bike as a roller and it did not have any clues like seat,fenders etc. to figure it out.The other bike is a model 600.It Would be much easier if I did’nt try to make all of my bikes original.
Thank You
Jay

Last edited:

markus

going into 1969

forest green (700 7000)
sunset red (600 6000)
Prairie blue (500 5000)
cherokee purple (450 I think the very first outlaw chopper was this color too)
blue enamel (400)

going into 1970 were:

Blue enamel (blaz'r 400) Look in the build off at the 1970 400 being done, there is a shot of it in survivor status at the beginning of the thread

Radical Red (450 700 6000)

Gastric Green (500 5000 and supposedly the Outlaw chopper as well)

Yegg Yellow (600 4500 7000)

Thats not to say they they followed what they wrote in the catalog/brochures to a T, seems these 2 years were the worse for that from what I have seen far as what remains on survivors that pop up here and there, but that's how they listed it. Ive seen the yellow on a 5000, a first version '69 (briggs/mag wheels/flat face chainguard) 600 in green, etc..

1971_MB1A

markus,so...was gastric green and cherokee purple both out at the same time for the outlaw chopper for 1969 or would gastric green of been 1970 only for the outlaw chopper ?

markus

markus,so...was gastric green and cherokee purple both out at the same time for the outlaw chopper for 1969 or would gastric green of been 1970 only for the outlaw chopper ?
no idea, The parts breakdown I have for the 1969 (briggs engine/bolt on bars) "outlaw" does not indicate color at all and the brochure that goes along with those bikes (the red pamphlet style) does not list the chopper in it at all. But the purple was a 1969 color and what I have seen associated with them in the past. they also had Forest green in 1969 though and may have used it on them.

1971_MB1A

Oh ok thanks. My 2nd mini bike as a kid (got it used) in the mid '70's was a lil indian outlaw chopper and I'm now trying to figure out by the color what year engine,clutch set up etc it would have originally had on it.

Thanks again Marcus for the great feedback.My 1970 has faded so bad it’s very hard to tell but it must be the Cherokee purple.It looks like a maroonish brown at this time.I think I’m going with the Cherokee purple on this bike because it just can’t be the other colors you listed.
Very Greatfull
Jay

Last edited: