Lil Indian forks

I'm fabricating a set of forks. I had the trees laser cut and was under the assumption that all Lil Indian trees were the same? During the process I noticed that one set I have is a little larger but with the same spread? Thanks in advance, Rich

Last edited:

markus

There was a flat spot across the back and I think maybe the space around where the tubes go through was fatter around 1965-ish? I dunno about what the really early ones had. The height where the handle bar bend sat above the tree varied a bit as well between years. earlier adds show right above the tree, 67-68- early69 show sitting pretty high, Tecumseh era they drop back down again to right above tree. Problaby going along with frame dimension changes they made.

It also appears that there is 3 different heights on the trees, making the lower portion of the forks longer. Model 300 being the shortest.

The early bikes didn't use the fork spring so the neck tube filled in between the trees. I've never seen one in person so I have no idea of the dimensions whether the length and f the neck tube was the same with closer trees or otherwise.

I'm working on an early 300, with a frame number in the low 2000's and it came with a fork spring. My question concerns the 400 and 500 lower fork length. I have 2 sets of later forks and the lower section is longer on one.

I'm working on an early 300, with a frame number in the low 2000's....
I've been told by a few people, including by someone at Allied Leisure Corp., that the number stamped on the frame has no relation to build date or model. If that's incorrect, I'd sure like to know the details of the number stamped on my bike.

I've been told by a few people, including by someone at Allied Leisure Corp., that the number stamped on the frame has no relation to build date or model. If that's incorrect, I'd sure like to know the details of the number stamped on my bike.

Markus or Ajax probably can give you a year of manufacture range. They dated mine 65-67. I'm building it as though it was an early 65 with a mini-matic. They'll need good shots of the frame including the engine plate.

markus

The production count from from begining to 1968 was in the 20,000, the production count from begining to the end of 1969 was into 37,000

Just at a quick glance your frame jives with it being a pretty late 68-69, big headtube, 4 spoke mag handlebar bend higher off the bars. You would want to look at if it has a hole in the engine plate or not, which for the most part signifies the changes that had to be made during 69 to adapt the Tecumseh during that year. You can figure that those axle mounts were stamped well in advance and problaby thrown in a big bin so they weren't coming off the line on order by any means or something to that nature, but from what I have seen the numbers do usually match up pretty close to what was found on the for that model year.

You would want to look at the long skinny brochures for best reference for your bike, The red one is what was to be the 1969 bikes with briggs and mag wheels, the blue catalog was for 1970...which basically what the lineup morphed into during 1969 becuase of the engine change.

Red catalog I believe can be found in the "vintage karting archives" (think thats what that site is), Blue, I am not real sure if there is anything online currently from that one.

Ricky, I can give you measurements of mine, of course its one of the bikes you didn't name specifically :laugh: Its an early 1968 600 with no corrections/repairs done to it. Let me know if you want em and I will PM you the specs.

I'm confused, all my Lil Indian forks, 300, 400 and 500 have the same fork length. The trees are welded at different heights depending on the model. Also the 300 bars tip back a little more. Thanks Markus, I didn't know there was a 600. And I will post the lower lengths of the bars.

Last edited:
LiL Indian fork lengths from bottom of tree to axle. I think the later frames have a steeper neck angle to compensate for the longer fork.

1. 7 & 3/4
2. 8 & 3/4
3. 9 & 1/16

...Just at a quick glance your frame jives with it being a pretty late 68-69, big headtube, 4 spoke mag handlebar bend higher off the bars...
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Is the presence of a fender bracket on the fork significant for determining the build date or model? Some of the photos in this thread show the bracket, while others do not.

Stitch

Hey Hotrodricky,
I have a take off set of 68' Lil Indian forks that you can have if you want them. I am tripping over them
and they have to go. Someone did a hack job weld repair job on them so I am not sure if they will be of any use to you.
I have the original spring for them too. Just let me know and they are yours free, just pay for shipping...
Stitch

fks.jpg

1027161813b.jpg 1027161814a.jpg

Last edited:

markus

LiL Indian fork lengths from bottom of tree to axle. I think the later frames have a steeper neck angle to compensate for the longer fork.

1. 7 & 3/4
2. 8 & 3/4
3. 9 & 1/16
mine show 8 5/8" from bottom of tree to axle centerline, The bike is an early 1968 600 and forks are not altered-was still in factory paint before blasting. They definitely did seem to play around with height/where they put the plates, On the earlier bikes the frames themselves are physically smaller, another member here near me has a 65/66 first disc brake version, a 69, and a 1970. The 65 is like an inch shorter between top and bottom of the frame and you can see quite a difference in angle in the rear of the frame. Its not really noticeable until you put the bikes side by side so it may have alot to do with frame dimensions and size placement of headtube.

I will note also that the 1968 lineup catalog seems to show the lower models having the bend closer to the top plate, where the 600 and 700 show sitting higher, I have never seen a better cleaner photo than this one that Joe51 had posted up years ago though and cant see the dimension info to see if that jives with that.

One thing I remember is someone on here had bought lil indian kickstand from me which ended up being too tall, he said he had a 700 4" wheel frame and his measurements (bottom of frame to ground) did come in lower than any other bike I owned. My current 600 should in theory measure the same as his, but I haven't ever gotten as far as actually bolting the wheels back on it to take measurements to make a stand for it yet.

the 1969 brochure seems to show the bikes as all the same frame, even the dimensional info shows the same. the variances noted are for the due to tire sizes (4.10 4" on 400-500, 10.5 4" for 600, and 4.10 6" on 700)

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Is the presence of a fender bracket on the fork significant for determining the build date or model? Some of the photos in this thread show the bracket, while others do not.
Looks like 1967 is when the strap was added for a front fender bracket, then they seemed to be standard on all the models regardless if it had fenders or not. 1964 was the stated year they started to offer fenders but they mounted them to the bottom of the lower tree, then briefly they had some conduit strap type setup in 66 timeframe area, so if it has the strap is pretty safe to say 67-up.

It looks like the model 300, 400 and 500 have a neck angle of around 26 degrees.
The model 600's neck angle at 30 degrees, this would explain the longer fork bottoms. Actually they just raised the trees up on the fork tubes.

...Looks like 1967 is when the strap was added for a front fender bracket, then they seemed to be standard on all the models regardless if it had fenders or not. 1964 was the stated year they started to offer fenders but they mounted them to the bottom of the lower tree, then briefly they had some conduit strap type setup in 66 timeframe area, so if it has the strap is pretty safe to say 67-up.
My dad bought me a used Lil Indian in about 1967. It had a B&S 3hp, mag wheels w/drum rear brake and no fender brackets. Dad made fender brackets from conduit and fenders from garden hose hangers.

Hello,
If you want a copy of the pic Markus posted let me know. I can scan and E mail it to you so you can see the dimensions.
Regards,
Joe51