Lil Indian help

I have an old (dunno what year) lil Indian with a 5 hp 4 cycle Briggs & Stratton. Serial number is #39245.
Could anyone help my identify what kind of lil Indian this is and what the original parts would have been?

Thanks in advance. 932C4FFD-3341-44DD-A9A4-6298EE8B13C5.jpeg E115DC35-FE78-4B82-8A1B-E108D6A6D2A9.jpeg 8E57BCE0-82D6-4719-A6B0-5A22DD4EC64D.jpeg

Newer frame with the round hole in the middle. Would of most likely had a Tecumseh engine. I think that was a 2 speed.
Would it of still been a Briggs & Stratton engine? I just found another one in the shed my dad said was on the frame before the 5hp. It’s a 3hp instead of a 5hp. We still believe that one wasn’t original because it has a sticker for a lawn & garden shop.

Great bike you have there especially with 4" mag wheels.

I just built the same bike but with a Azuza seat. Didn't care about originality just build it for fun and I'll tell you, those 5HP in a small bike get up and go.

O.J.

markus

They were supposedly only up to 37K end of '69 but everything points toward you bike as being a '69 build/version, As manchester stated it was a 600 2 speed off the line. You will have fitment problems with the 5hp I think, the 3hp will fit and if you have the number right It is a 1969 and the correct version (80212) Lil Indian engine. This is how that version would have looked orginally.........only much cleaner and not as crusty :D 1969 lil indian 600.jpg 1969 lil indian 6001.jpg

They were supposedly only up to 37K end of '69 but everything points toward you bike as being a '69 build/version, As manchester stated it was a 600 2 speed off the line. You will have fitment problems with the 5hp I think, the 3hp will fit and if you have the number right It is a 1969 and the correct version (80212) Lil Indian engine. This is how that version would have looked orginally.........only much cleaner and not as crusty :D View attachment 279815 View attachment 279816
Wow. Alright. I got another question. Is it possible to get new wheels somewhere for 4”? I’m checking OldMiniBikes and I can’t find ones that look right. Every wheel I saw had 3 holes to run bolts for the rear sprocket and the one I have used 4.

Wow. Alright. I got another question. Is it possible to get new wheels somewhere for 4”? I’m checking OldMiniBikes and I can’t find ones that look right. Every wheel I saw had 3 holes to run bolts for the rear sprocket and the one I have used 4.
Nvm. I managed to get the bolts out. So new question because I saw a post somewhere on the forums. What type of chain do I need for the 60t sprocket? I’ve seen people say 35 and that it changed from old sprocket to new. Trying to make sure to get the right stuff first time so I have no problem.

I had the same problem a couple of month ago. Most 4" tires online will look too narrow on the 4" rim.
I bought these on Amazon MaxAuto 11x4X4 11x4.00-4 Turf Saver Lawn & Garden Tire P512 LRA, Set of 2
These are a half inch taller 11" total so make sure you have enough room between the rim and fender. I did not have any issues. However, the 2-speed clutch is close to the tire.

Side note: Make sure the steel bearing spacer is not missing that should be between your two-piece 4" rim.

Attachments

I had the same problem a couple of month ago. Most 4" tires online will look too narrow on the 4" rim.
I bought these on Amazon MaxAuto 11x4X4 11x4.00-4 Turf Saver Lawn & Garden Tire P512 LRA, Set of 2
These are a half inch taller 11" total so make sure you have enough room between the rim and fender. I did not have any issues. However, the 2-speed clutch is close to the tire.

Side note: Make sure the steel bearing spacer is not missing that should be between your two-piece 4" rim.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Now I know if I do need new wheels what to get. Thankfully I was able to get the old ones apart. Everything is just seized since it’s been a long time.

Last edited: