Lil Indian model 700 Disc brake

ugmold

So I'd like to get a disc brake setup for my Lil Indian Model 700. Doesn't need to be EOM, just needs to work without having to mod the frame. The original disc brake post is intact on the bike. I did a quick look on ebay and there are a variety of them up there, wondering if anybody got one to work for them that wasn't original equipment.
Thanks

markus

Most likely you have the Later model 1" center to center bracket if its a 700. It still possible that it has the earlier bracket which used a 1 5/8" center to center caliper....you can eaisly find calipers with that spacing, but they wont work :doah:

I actually have both kinds on the bench right now. I just recently bought a 200m off another type of bike that used it on a jackshaft application to play with and try to modify the back plate of the caliper to fit a lil indian.

The important things to note are the pin orientation, they run parallel with the bottom frame rail when mounted on the bike. If you have the earlier/larger style bracket note that there is not an extruded gusset in the center of the caliper (sunk in where the 200m markings are), most current calipers are gusseted/built up there which prohibits it from working with the stock bracket. The pin orientation will create a problem as well with the bracket as well and also be problematic with the arm location.

Another big problem is backplate clearance, you can see that the later 1" spacing caliper on the right that the backing plate is threaded for the bolt, The one on the left should be as well so the bolt does not protrude past the plate. This stuff is on the bench right now because I am experimenting with the backplate on the 200m The mini bike versions were threaded and ground down flat so they could squeeze between tire and sprocket, I got the ground down part done, thought I had a time-sert kit for 5/16 to get some thread in the holes and I only have 1/4 20 size :doah: so I am currently at a standstill there :censure: Not even sure at this point if a time-sert will work, It may be a better idea to simple have someone machine a new backplate out of some aluminum stock and just thread the holes though.

basically your up a creek when it comes to easy breezy affordable fitment on these bikes

Last edited:

ugmold

Thanks Markus, as usual some great info there. My bracket measures 1 inch center to center. I won't give up, but will have to settle for a band brake or something for now. Have you seen the one on Allied Leisures website? Not a lot of info, sounds like a industry standard unit.

markus

Yea thats exactly what it is, current industry standard caliper, it has larger spacing among the other things I noted so it would not be a bolt on item.

Markus,

I have a Lil Indian frame for a 2 speed and it has the bracket for the KH style caliper; frame also has the smaller diameter fork neck tube; did NOT see a serial number on rear axle strap or engine plate; any idea on the year it might be? THANKS!

markus

Markus,

I have a Lil Indian frame for a 2 speed and it has the bracket for the KH style caliper; frame also has the smaller diameter fork neck tube; did NOT see a serial number on rear axle strap or engine plate; any idea on the year it might be? THANKS!
should be no later than early 1967 built, The fender mount strap style, or lack of could narrow it down from there.

markus

Markus,

Thank you! Someone had cut the fender brackets off, and I replaced them; appears to have been for 4" wheels originally.....
whats the distance between the frame rails (top of engine plate to bottom of upper framerail). Frames were also getting larger right around that time frame as well.

Markus: If you wouldn't mind, could I pick your brain for a moment? My Lil Indian frame measures 12 7/8" from top of motor plate (which has a hole in it) to the underside of the upper tubes. It also has what looks to be about a 1 1/8" dia. head tube that's 3 3/4" long (not counting the bushings). Would that be considered the large head tube? Do you happen to have an idea as to the year of his one?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry, I should have mentioned, it has the brake caliper with the 1" bolt spacing.

Last edited:

markus

Markus: If you wouldn't mind, could I pick your brain for a moment? My Lil Indian frame measures 12 7/8" from top of motor plate (which has a hole in it) to the underside of the upper tubes. It also has what looks to be about a 1 1/8" dia. head tube that's 3 3/4" long (not counting the bushings). Would that be considered the large head tube? Do you happen to have an idea as to the year of his one?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry, I should have mentioned, it has the brake caliper with the 1" bolt spacing.
is the Red frame you asked about last year in another thread? If so my answer from back then is still valid :laugh:

well, 4 spoke 4"mags tell you sometime in 1969 or later, the hole in the plate tells you sometime in 1969 as well for the start date. If it was factory paint, the 450 model came in "radical red" according to the 1970 sales brochure.
An yes, it is considered the large head tube.

I have some Vintage NOS Limptco calipers that I'm going to liquidate that I was told by Mac that they could be made to work on a Lil Inidan frame. I'll have to get them out and do some measuring...