Lil Indian two piece frame year???

Addicted 2 Minis

I just purchased a Lil Indian two piece frame and am uncertain of the year. It is smaller than the most current ones that are still being sold and it has a fork plate decal that I haven't seen before (Red and White). I'm probably going to put an older 4HP Briggs on it instead of the 4HP Tecumseh (I have both) but not sure as of now. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

markus

They started selling a version like that in the mid 1970's as the "Skyhawk" and available with either 4hp (#412) or 5hp (#512) Tecumseh. that small frame lasted till at least 2000 and I believe past that a bit ( I had a 2000, not sure what the decal color was though as it was gone when I go it)

Looking a brochure shot I have that is at least pre 1977, the one thing I notice different on yours is the welded on kickstand where the photo I have it has a bolt on stand so It may post date that.

on my later one there was a serial number and info engraved in the frame on the engine plate from what others on here have researched the laser engraving was supposedly started in the mid 90's

This thread shows the 2000 short frame I had, and there is a link to another thread from member 1stlegendtx that he posted in that thread if you scroll through that shows that info about the engraving that he had found out.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/112094-lil-indian.html

Good luck with it.

If you end up getting it narrowed down a bit from there, please post up the info, maybe it can help fill in gaps in timeline :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Me too!, I've already purchased new tires, throttle and seat for it. The seat is the kick-up type, I like the flat style better and will keep my eyes peeled for an original. If I can't find an original, I'll probably have one made for it. The tires I bought are same as original 4.10/350-6 Cheng Shin trail tires like what's on the front now. For now, I just want to clean it up and get it mechanically sound and rattle can the paint job but also personalize it a bit too, not to worried about keeping it original but I think it would look the part with my old 4HP Briggs.

Addicted 2 Minis

Thanks Markus!, I never really paid any attention when these where being sold new in the 90's and at that time didn't know that Lil Indian made them past the early 70's. All the newer ones I remember seeing were red with the silver fork decal and springer forks. It wasn't until I pulled my old pre Tecumseh bike out did I get bitten by the mini bike bug. It's in real bad shape, tons of crap has been welded on over the years, when I got it, it had a plate welded where the rear fender bracket was that was used for a trailer hitch!. I'll be sure to check out your thread, I think it's funny that so many of these were made but not much info to be found.

Addicted 2 Minis

So after doing some more research, I found that the black two piece frames were made from the mid 80's to late 90's. 1999/2000 was the transition period and they switched to blue for the small frames and red for the large frame bikes. The older 80's/90's bikes had a flat engine plate that didn't fold down in front nor did they have an engine adjustment bolt like the 99/2000 bikes have. I have also found that the older 80's/90's bikes have an unusual set of wheel spacers, since they used 1/2" axle bolts and 5/8" wheel bearings there is one long spacer that the axle bolt goes through and an array of spacers that go over that unlike the 99/2000 bikes that have nice aluminum spacers. After stripping the paint I still haven't found any serial numbers anywhere on the frame or engine plate, the 99/2000 bikes have the serial number on the engine plate with the wording " Genuine Lil Indian " over it. I ordered a set of new sprocket and axle spacers like the originals that it should have and the lengths are the same as the ones that I removed but the sprocket and brake drum spacers don't match, the sprocket spacers I removed have a bulge in the middle and the brake drum spacers had 2 spacers per bolt, they look right so I'm going to re-use them. I found another black large frame bike that had the red and white fork decal and it was manufactured in 2000, must have been one of the last of the black frames.