Long range sears roper? double tanks, yes or no?

What fuel tank setup should I go with?

• Use both tanks, engine tank as reserve

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • save whole HS50 for another tankless mini, use another engine

• Try to pass off HS50 as 50cc, get tagged as moped and use both tanks

• Tag as a moped in a different state, use both tanks, ride out.... LOL

• Total voters
Ok, so I am working on a resto-mod of this 10 inch wheel sears roper.

It has the original triangle top mount tank, which i have managed to clean to a very useable state. This tank of course will be used on this bike no matter what.

Now i had to choose an engine for this bike... I have newer engines but wanted to use a correct engine on this one even though its a resto-mod, so i pulled out a white hs50 tec I got off a tiller in the scrap yard. no carb but it fired on ether when i bought it and sounded strong!

so i pull it out to start mocking it up on the roper and realize, it still has the front mount gas tank, with the corner fill... perfect for a minibike.

This roper is a lighted battery model, but i dont have a lighting coil. my state requires 50cc for moped and issued tag and registration, so long range seems cool but I would have to either run a non-legit tag off another moped and risk getting caught if i actually wanted to take it for rides on the road. I have put moped street tires on it for pavement use.

so now i come to an impasse.

Do i...

use both tanks? with an extra cutoff switch and a T fitting, I can have a very large reserve fuel tank. the white tank matches the engine

remove the matching tank and bracket, save for another tec powered mini?

use a different engine, and leave the matching tank and bracket on the HS50?

I wonder if I can convince a DMV examiner that HS50 means 50cc? if so im going long range tanks for sure! haha

alright so I think you guys are awesome and funny and i want to hear everyone's opinions, not just a poll answer but your personal answers as well. I will also post some pics here shortly so everyone can see what I've done so far

fistfullabar, ive always hated the weird L shaped tanks because they are just kinda weird. I keep them for go kart tanks because they do fit in a corner well haha. i was thinking about using an OHH motor like that on a slant plate bike to get an almost vertical bore motor so it kinda looks more like a vintage vertical bore.

i would personally lose the L tank on yours, the rest of your bike looks so good... but then again do you ride enough to use both tanks? i just dont like covering the engine so much, like the look of exposed motor.

your bike looks sweet either way. love the alum swinger

and you forgot to vote!

Last edited:

fistfullabar

Thanks i like the way the stock tank fill out the frame. I had to chopp and stretch the frame 1 inch to get the tec ohh sitting pretty like that. I have not ridden it in its newest setup. Plus i switch out the powersport for a motorsports. Should be way too much fun to ride when i git ta riding.

Unless you REALLY need an extra tank for "long range riding" (How much of THAT do you really think you will be doing?), I would ditch that ugly OEM Roper tank and just use the engine tank. Those bikes look SOOO much better w/o that tank (What were the designers thinking- is that the best they could come up with?). Sell that tank on Ebay for big bucks.
Michael

Im not going to ditch the roper tank. the engine tank is not any prettier than the triangle wedge tank. I like the big shiny fuel cap and the way it matches the stock seat. I put a giant sissy bar on it and going to put another seat on it. the rear pegs are too far back and i have some clamp on highway pegs for up front.

I really DO want to do long range riding with it if i can get away with it. I have a lot of pretty view around roads to cruise, would be great to putt around on. ive heard the sears roper is a very comfortable riding mini bike and with 10 inch wheels and tires i could see it being a nice cruiser

JKautoFab

14536857_1424740270887913_2033851872_o.jpg 14599848_1424740267554580_1933345363_o.jpg

here is what I have going on so far. blacked out frame, some chinese (i think) shocks, seat-refoamed, and a legit motorcycle sissy bar fit into the frame. I plan on making a full 2nd seat out of the sissy and the space behind the stock seat, and use the factory pegs as passenger pegs (they are too far back for the driver IMO) and some clamp on highway pegs for the driver.

the HS50 still has the tiller stuff on it so i just tossed the repop cover over it for the pics. as you can see the corner fill tank clears really well. the dual tank idea is growing on me!

as is the idea of a moped tag... might have to figure out a 12v charging system next!