long ride to get this powell

I didn't look up the numbers yet but I think you could get a Powell with a Tecumseh. did you research the date ? just wondering if it is period correct which it looks like to me.

Itype2slo

Yes it looks like an E and should have A Tecumseh 4hp. The extended oil filler on yours leads me to believe it came off some other lawn equipment. Maybe same time period who knows it may even be lighted. Nice Score. A little rust under the seat.

I'm no powell expert but according to David Wulf that is the correct type engine for the E series and the hard to find vertical seam gastank. Too bad the equally hard to find spark arrester exhaust is missing. Looks like it was replaced by a plumber. I was working on mine yesterday as it was warm enough to prime it. If it is warm today I may topcoat it.

Attachments

Serial number is 9294 03271 Model # HS400552778 The gas tank is metal which is pre 1970 it has a faded ballon style decal which is pre 1971 The oil fill may have been added not sure. Can they be screwed in to the oil fill port? My best guess is 1969 engine. built on 294th day of that year. I hope I can get the exhaust removed with out to much pain and suffering. if it is correct it needs some TLC for sure.

old shed finds

Nice bike and kinda off the subject but these are probably the smoothest riding bikes built. .Member xr7gt has one and I always have a hard time handing it back after riding it....

it looks like they did a good job engineering and building them. I just noticed on mine the spring for the mono-shock looks like it is broken. that will be a challenge to find. unless i can get it welded . It is thick enough to weld but ill search for a replacement that is similar.

Davis

it looks like they did a good job engineering and building them. I just noticed on mine the spring for the mono-shock looks like it is broken. that will be a challenge to find. unless i can get it welded . It is thick enough to weld but ill search for a replacement that is similar.
You shouldn’t weld springs.

I74

That's a score, & it's even blue !!
I like Powell's, only seen one for real though, think it was back out west in a Harley shop ,, years ago...…..

I74

Wonder if you could cut a piece of spring that goes in a motorcycle front end fork tube / lower leg ?

To me ''from the pics'',, it looks about the same size O.D. as one like in a Harley FLH front end.

Valve spring off a ''large'' Diesel engine might be pretty close also.;)

Just a couple of thoughts …...

Last edited:
Here is a link to an old post back when I knew what I was doing. Not cheap, but I did a lot of research and this was the closest I could find. You can't weld springs. It takes out the temper. Good score on the bike. My E code had an original engine and it had a small tag on it. It's cool you got that Powell drive system with it. A lot of the time, those are missing parts. You can rebuild them with new ball bearings if they are dented or corrorded.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/powell-rear-spring.86080/post-997232

it looks like they did a good job engineering and building them. I just noticed on mine the spring for the mono-shock looks like it is broken. that will be a challenge to find. unless i can get it welded . It is thick enough to weld but ill search for a replacement that is similar.[/QU 20201127_170737.jpg OTE]
I have a spring I can part with , $20 plus shipping

Attachments

markus

Yes it looks like an E and should have A Tecumseh 4hp. The extended oil filler on yours leads me to believe it came off some other lawn equipment. Maybe same time period who knows it may even be lighted. Nice Score. A little rust under the seat.
Those dipsticks were optional/period items, and came standard on some mini bikes even. The tube just screwed on like a standard oil fill plug did. Search JC penney golden pintos, They were usually on those from the factory. It does not show in the parts list for that lighted MB specific engine though, so someone may have put it on there to make checking the oil easier.

From the 1969 Tecumseh mini bike engines brochure: IMG_2349.JPG

Last edited: