Look what followed me home yesterday.

Its sad but it is functional and will clean up nicely. Deals are still out there but you have to keep your eyes open. I noticed the tail stock sticking out from under a table and immediately recognized it as a lathe. I asked about it and was told it was a South Bend lathe. I said lets look at it. So while we were uncovering it I asked what he wanted for it. He said $100.00. We got it uncovered and I got around to the other end and it said Atlas and I said I would take it. That sucker is heavy too.....

Got home and had to figure out how to get it into the shop. Got a piece of plywood cut to a slightly larger size than my roll around tool box and put it on that. Got it in the shop and plugged it in. Went to running like new. Now the fun begins, finding a few needed pieces. The handle is broken on the cross feed and there is one on Ebay for $125. I will wait for the next one. Soaked it with Gibbs and everything was loose this morning. Scraped the ways with my good gasket scraper and they are cleaning up good.

Its a TV - 54 Model 10 - F I have learned that it would have been made from the middle 30's through the 40's at least.

Doug, I have one of those in my shop...very same lathe. That's a nice accurate machine for small parts, my only gripe is the small graduated dials that are rather difficult to see at a glance but that is easy to remedy with a digital readout kit from Little Machine Shop. The battery powered ones are great for occasional use.

Doug, I have one of those in my shop...very same lathe. That's a nice accurate machine for small parts, my only gripe is the small graduated dials that are rather difficult to see at a glance but that is easy to remedy with a digital readout kit from Little Machine Shop. The battery powered ones are great for occasional use.
Since I have the 12 inch Atlas I couldn't say no to this one. Not all but a fair amount of the tooling will interchange. The 1 thing that I want to buy for it will be a proper steady rest. It needs a handle on the cross feed but everything else is there. I am very happy to have found it. I did notice that the dials are awfully small. I will look into the digital setup. Probably be good to have on the 12 inch too, as blind as I am...

I may have to bother you for some pics of how the change gears are set up. Mine are missing. But that will be down the road a little.

Thanks

Doug