Looking for an electric motor expert

:facepalm: I have that exact same unit for my car. It does not charge sh!ttonnes of 18650s. You charge it in your house and it is used as a booster battery to start your dead car.
Then you have a different one. Mine has to be plugged into the wall to charge car batteries. It's not the jumper one

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

bobert, that ESC you listed is for an r/c car/truck. How were you planning on controlling it? Normally it's done via a transmitter and receiver.
And most receivers are rated to a max of 6 volts to operate, the built in BEC (battery eliminator circuit) won't handle anything over the 3 cell lipo voltage and be able to drop the voltage down to 6 volts. So you would need to disable it and run a receiver pack of 6 volts.

All that said, you can use a servo tester in place of the TX/RX, you can pick one up for around 10 bucks. Basically it's just a potentiometer. You would still need a small battery pack to run it on the 6 volts max it requires

Something else, those ESC's have forward/reverse/brake built in, on a car set up, the trigger on the transmitter controls the functions.
So using it for something else can be a little tricky.

You would be better off with an ESC for an airplane, only has one direction of rotation. So no reverse or braking to deal with.

bobert, that ESC you listed is for an r/c car/truck. How were you planning on controlling it? Normally it's done via a transmitter and receiver.
And most receivers are rated to a max of 6 volts to operate, the built in BEC (battery eliminator circuit) won't handle anything over the 3 cell lipo voltage and be able to drop the voltage down to 6 volts. So you would need to disable it and run a receiver pack of 6 volts.

All that said, you can use a servo tester in place of the TX/RX, you can pick one up for around 10 bucks. Basically it's just a potentiometer. You would still need a small battery pack to run it on the 6 volts max it requires

Something else, those ESC's have forward/reverse/brake built in, on a car set up, the trigger on the transmitter controls the functions.
So using it for something else can be a little tricky.

You would be better off with an ESC for an airplane, only has one direction of rotation. So no reverse or braking to deal with.
This is why I need help lol. I could use a 5v voltage regulator from a car charger for the receiver.

Alternator motor needs massive Amp capacity controller. It will turn and move on the 65 Amp device, but will be slow pulling you, batteries and a bike.

Perhaps run a universal AC/DC motor (for example a common circular saw with brushes). Those will run on DC straight from batteries. Bolt a sprocket where the blade fits. No controller needed, just switches. Using car relays or a clever mechanical switch arrangement, wire banks of batteries to kick in for different "throttle" settings.

Last edited:
Does a circular saw have that kind of power ? I dont think it would maybe it does ? Still think better off get a scooter motor or even a treadmill motor . As for cheep control what about a solid state relay and a electronic race car thottle the old slot car ones ?

Metal Man, a circular saw motor generally takes 2,000 + Watts to start (plugged into 120 Volts AC) and consumes at least 1,000 Watts or more running. Heavy duty circular saws are rated for 15 Amps, which is 1,800 Watts and maybe over 2HP at the blade. I agree with you, a scooter motor and controller would be best. Treadmill motor... those are permanent magnet DC, right?

What about using a motor and drive control from an electric tractor? I have an Electric OX and a E8 Elec-Trac that could be used for your project. Both are 36v electric tractors and both still operate. You could also look into electric golf cart drives for your build.

Inventorpardue neat to know it takes that much power . A treadmill motor is permanent magnet there is people using them to power lathe and other machines .

use a bldc motor at either 24, 36, or 48 vdc. go to hub motor,brushless motor, BLDC motor, bike conversion kit,brushless motor controller,electric propulsion outboard,electric outboard,electric car motor,brushless joystick controller,EZ Outboard, EZ-Outboard, EZ Outboard Motor, folding electric wheelc they have all
kinds of stuff for this. if you want a cheap motor pm me. i probably have a controller
too that uses a 10K pot to go from zero to full.

[emoji106]
That's way out of the price range. It's 300 for the cheapest motor and 450 for the cheapest controller... I didn't even look for a price on batteries. And I bet the price over cost on those are insane. That's the whole point of this, use simple common parts.

Now my next thought. I'm basicly building a giant cordless drill. The trigger can be mounted on the handlebars, a larger battery and motor. I only need this thing to go ~15mph. And in some of the newer drills have massive amounts of torque. Dose that spark any ideas from anyone?

A cordless drill motor would overheat and burn out the windings after a few minutes of running under a heavy load. Keeping simple and low cost in mind the only option seems to be a used golf cart or electric tractor drive train. Those can be found for a reasonable cost and the spare parts are available for low cost if you search around. The items Phil mentioned will give you dependable high efficiency and precise speed control but the technology is more expensive and there is no way to cut corners unless you don't mind constant break downs.

There was
a drill company that had a bike that ran on one of there cordless drill . Woulnt last long im thinking a drillis like a sstarter lots of power but short run time .
Look around for a busted rivet ? Electric mini bike there would be a cheep pile of parts . Maybe a low volt auger motor off a delivery truck?

So looking at those treadmill motors got me thinking. If I could find an old treadmill I could use the speed control out of it too as long as it's not a digital one. I can configure the batteries to simulate 110v dc as I'm sure there is an a.c. to dc converter in the treadmill anyway. Anyone know of any other equipment that is like that? Like a lathe would work also. Anything with a good amount of torque but has a knob that controls speed

So looking at those treadmill motors got me thinking. If I could find an old treadmill I could use the speed control out of it too as long as it's not a digital one. I can configure the batteries to simulate 110v dc as I'm sure there is an a.c. to dc converter in the treadmill anyway. Anyone know of any other equipment that is like that? Like a lathe would work also. Anything with a good amount of torque but has a knob that controls speed

if you want cheap find a used 3 phase induction motor and a vfd. the 3 phase induction motor is the most common
electric motor ever made and will provide all the HP and torque you need. they are cheap on Craigslist and eBay.

you want the biggest motor you fit on your bike to keep it from overheating. the downside is you have to modify
the vfd to accept DC. the drill motor or tread mill motor will overheat and burn up probably causing battery issues
if you don't fuse them properly.

last time - if you want a dirt cheap bldc motor and controller pm me.

:thumbsup:

This may sound silly but think about how a Power Wheels kids car is set up. They use a small dc motor in a gearbox powered by either a 6 or 12 volt SLA battery. Those things get hopped up with higher voltages all the time. You can pick them up used for cheap. And hopped up drive units are not expensive. Lots of parts on Ebay.

As a side thing I build 1/6th scale tanks for a client. On his Tiger tank, 150 pounds, I used 3 Power Wheels drives. Two 12 volt units run the tracks, and a 6 volt unit rotates the turret.
TIGER 008.jpg 0404141654.jpg

This may sound silly but think about how a Power Wheels kids car is set up. They use a small dc motor in a gearbox powered by either a 6 or 12 volt SLA battery. Those things get hopped up with higher voltages all the time. You can pick them up used for cheap. And hopped up drive units are not expensive. Lots of parts on Ebay.

As a side thing I build 1/6th scale tanks for a client. On his Tiger tank, 150 pounds, I used 3 Power Wheels drives. Two 12 volt units run the tracks, and a 6 volt unit rotates the turret.
View attachment 104116 View attachment 104117
That is an option but I still need the controller for speed. In a power wheeles they are just switched on or off. I could double up on the motors to create enough torque to move me around. I think what most people are having trouble with is the fact that I'm not racing this thing. I legally can't go over 20mph. So I can gear it to do even less and have more torque to take it easy on the motor.