Looking for info on Gilson Allis Chalmers Or Wards

Found a barn find Wards by Gilson 5hp with a 2 speed. I need to replace the carb tires cables seat & chains. I am going to paint it & label is as a Clone Allis Chalmers to have with our Tractor club at events. I'm wondering what to look for with the 2 speed gearing. I know it uses 2 clutches & a 1 way sprocket. Would I have trouble if I were to disassemble these for cleaning?

capguncowboy

You should be okay to disassemble, clean and service and reassemble the two speed setup. They're not too complex, but just take notes on the order of each part (and there are quite a few) so you know how it goes back together afterward. If you need parts, you might be able to find them on Ebay or here on the forums.

I wasn't forutnate enough to have an original unit and I had to buy an NOS unit and rebuild it to the Gilson jackshaft.

2015-06-30 20.23.22.jpg

Cool Thank you for this picture I really hadn't looked at my jack shaft yet but I'm sure once I do it will become easy to figure out. 1 thing I'm not sure of is that 1 way sprocket. Is it similar to a ratchet in a 10 speed bike sprocket cluster. If so it would be kind of dainty & weak for a built up engine. I'm looking at building the original H5 engine for more HP.

capguncowboy

I'm not sure if it'll take the abuse or not. You could swap it out for a TAV like some of the original Allis models. There's one on Ebay right now with the TAV set-up.

Cool Thank you for this picture I really hadn't looked at my jack shaft yet but I'm sure once I do it will become easy to figure out. 1 thing I'm not sure of is that 1 way sprocket. Is it similar to a ratchet in a 10 speed bike sprocket cluster. If so it would be kind of dainty & weak for a built up engine. I'm looking at building the original H5 engine for more HP.
I would clean it up and ride it. Meanwhile, buy an Allis bike and repeat. It takes two ta race, and it might be twice the fun.
Hope this helps.