Loose clutch cover - Climbaway clutch

The clutch cover on my clutch is loose, and I'm wondering what can be done to fix the problem. It's a Bonham climbaway clutch on a Tote Gote 670, the cover sits between the engine and the actual clutch. The cover has a spot for the key stamped into it, and is also supposed to have a smaller tab facing inward, which seems to have broke off on mine at some point. The key seems to fit fine into the groove in the clutch cover, but it still is loose and has play in it. I think it's because the small tab is missing. What I can't figure out is how that small tab of metal is supposed to keep the clutch cover in place? how does the clutch cover stay clamped down? Do I need to have the small 1\8 inch of metal tacked back on to secure it?

Any suggestions to secure this clutch cover down?

Here is a climbaway clutch cover (not mine). You can see the keyway and the very small protruding tab beneath it.
s-l400.jpg

Thank you

There was a special bushing used on the 670 nova to hold the cover in place. It had a step machined to fit the diameter and depth of the cover opening. The 3/4" inside diameter fit over the shaft. This bushing was only used on the 670.

Attachments

Is this bushing different than the stepped pilot washer/bushing that holds the clutch onto the end of the shaft? Or is there another bushing I am missing?
I have the pilot washer with the bolt going through it holding the clutch onto the shaft. I even tried using a shorter bolt through the stepped pilot washer screwed into the shaft to make it tighter, but it clamped the clutch so tightly to the case of the engine - it wouldn't even turn over.

The bushing you need has 3/4" opening that will slide onto your shaft, between the motor and clutch. On a Nova, the clutch cover is next to the motor as in picture. The 670 had a pilot bushing with a longer shank that helped stabilize the outer face of the clutch.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you for the info as always Richard. I should have mentioned I am using a 1" inch shaft clutch off of a 780 on a Tecumseh 7hp. I know this isn't original specification for a 670, but it is the closest I could find to the original motor that lined up and was local. Plus I like the extra displacement. I guess I'll have to engineer a similar bushing or washer to fit between the clutch and engine case for the 1" inch shaft to stop the slop in the clutch cover. It can't be too thick as there isn't much space between the clutch and engine case. My 675 with the original 6hp Briggs doesn't have such a bushing hence the confusion. I plan on posting pictures of both Tote Gotes once I work out a few more minor kinks. Thanks again
-CLH