made a band brake for the clutch, WOW!!

heres my clutch brake. i dont know why the pics are so dark, they looked fine on the camera???
Did you have to manipulate the brake band before you actually installed it ... Seems like if I raise it up from the bottom and the tweak the end in some toward the clutch it will work ... So ... I'm thinkin now I will take it off and try to prebend it around the clutch and then try it again ... This seems too simple to screw up :doah:

Ratbike

OK ... I'm thinkin that whoever welded this together may have screwed up ... No matter where I move it around to it wants to lock the clutch up ... The welded pin location looks to be off ... Or ... Am I screwin something up myself ?? ... Any thoughts now that I've got some pics ... Thanks
May need to wear in a bit...some times the clutch metal needs to smooth out some. I looks to be fine . Here's one of mine (homemade):smile:

Did you have to manipulate the brake band before you actually installed it ... Seems like if I raise it up from the bottom and the tweak the end in some toward the clutch it will work ... So ... I'm thinkin now I will take it off and try to prebend it around the clutch and then try it again ... This seems too simple to screw up :doah:
i didnt manipulate the band to install it, it fits nice around the clutch. the only problem that i saw was the pad kind of touches the clutch where the it is bolted to the engine, i thought about grinding that 1/4" piece of the pad off but i figured i would wait and see if it would smooth its self down. it takes a lil tweaking to get it rite. 1st i had alot of slop on the brake handle so i squeezed the band closed a lil more, it was to much so it was back and forth till it felt rite. so now it locks up the rear whell nicely. and this is just in my basement, i havent actually rode it yet. and i would recomend getting a spring for it so it will open the band up when you let go of the brake lever. that may be the hardest part, (finding the rite spring) i tried 3 diff springs till i got the rite 1.

you will also need to make a spacer to go between the band and engine. i used a piece of aluminum tube (ACE hardware) that i had also used for wheel/sprocket spacers.

you will also need to make a spacer to go between the band and engine. i used a piece of aluminum tube (ACE hardware) that i had also used for wheel/sprocket spacers.
Cool ... Well I tweaked it till I got it as close as I could to fit nicely ... Mine has a nut on each side of the brake band mounting plate so no need for a spacer (The bolt is actually welded to the brake band) ... I will have to get a spring a little stronger than the one it comes with I'm sure ... I'll have the cable installed by the weekend and give it a try ... Thanks for all of the help on this :thumbsup: ... You guys are GREAT !!

i used the spacer to keep the band in place and when i tighten the bolt on the band it keeps the side cover tight. what part of texas are you in?

i used the spacer to keep the band in place and when i tighten the bolt on the band it keeps the side cover tight. what part of texas are you in?
Ahhh ... Slightly different set-up ... I'm in "Rockwall" ... Just east of Dallas ... Spent a lot of time in Rhode Island when I was a kid ... Grew up in Connecticut ... Been back to Providence a few times in the past 30 years ...

:doah: rockwall, that should have giving it away. i lived in texas city for about 2yrs, and spent my summers there as a kid. Providence has changed alot, thanks to buddy cianci. he spent some time in the ACI, but now he has his own radio show, ha. my uncles brother used to live outside of dallas, steven cole. i threw a name out cuz you never know. i also worked in CT, on the new london sub base.

Yeah ... Kinda picked up that nickname from work ... I live quite a ways from work so everyone used to just call me Rockwall ... Steven Cole doesn't ring a bell ... We were in Providence 2 years ago for a 2 week vaca ... Awsome time ... Hated to come home ...

Last edited:
rockwall if you bend the band out from the clutch just under where the peg is before the pad it should fix your problem. you want the pad held out from the clutch pretty evenly all the way round

OK ... I'm thinkin that whoever welded this together may have screwed up ... No matter where I move it around to it wants to lock the clutch up ... The welded pin location looks to be off ... Or ... Am I screwin something up myself ?? ... Any thoughts now that I've got some pics ... Thanks
i think the screw is to close to the clutch mine on my bike isnt like that i got a original ruttman uglys clutch brake set up and the screw is not that close

Well ... Its done ... Brakes work perfect on the bench ... Just had to remove the band assembly (for the fifth or sixth time) and tweak it until I got it where I wanted it ... A little more work than I thought but I just grabbed some patience and got it done ... Well worth the effort ... Thanks again ya'll for the advice , pics and your valuable time :thumbsup:

Mine works great when I am riding it but I let my daughter ride it and she rides the brake making the clutch overheat.Thats the only problem I have had .It has great stopping power.

Ratbike

Well ... Its done ... Brakes work perfect on the bench ... Just had to remove the band assembly (for the fifth or sixth time) and tweak it until I got it where I wanted it ... A little more work than I thought but I just grabbed some patience and got it done ... Well worth the effort ... Thanks again ya'll for the advice , pics and your valuable time :thumbsup:
I didn't realize you were testing it on the bench. It will seem to grab on the bench because the brake works so well!!! Test drive it!:thumbsup: Don't fly over the handle bars...LOL!!

Nice, clean set-up. Looks great. Scott.