Mahogany and other Wooded Trail ride...

I took another trip now that the forest has dried out from our Monsoon Rains a little. I went back to Oak Flats ( part of an 85 mile trial system) a tried several of the popular trails starting with one called Mahogany. Not that there is such wood here, just a name the Rangers gave it decades ago.
It starts at 7,500 feet ASL and goes up to 9,000 feet ASL and has just about every terrain you could ask for. Nice "smooth" pine needle trail,to loose gravel, to rocks then boulders and a vertical 24" rock shelf that you cannot drive around. You either jump it ( not in a Baja your not) or carry the bike over the shelf,which I had to do.
There is even two mud bogs just for giggles.
With several other trails intersecting Mahogany Trail you can really get in some miles in the forest.
Here is the nice start. It's 0730 and about 55 degrees F. A nice pine needle and dirt trail
M1.JPG
As you start to climb, the trees are a little closer together in places and the killer tree roots start to sprout up keeping one on his toes.
M2.JPG

M3.JPG
And of course, the inevitable rocks are in bloom as well.
M4.JPG
The trail starts to wind through the pine trees which is fun. The smell of the trees is really very nice.

M5.JPG
As you climb higher the rocks become boulders and there are always many more out-cropping s of them.

M6.JPG
The trail then meanders through the forest going up and down rises. Within 100 yards the scenery can change dramatically.
M7.JPG
The trail can become quite fun to navigate with these guys popping up just when you get comfortable riding.

M8.JPG
It was about this time I noticed that the front end felt a little "mushy" so I stopped at one of the trail markers just to find the spring tension-er had back completely off of the threaded shaft. I got it back to normal for my body weight, and continued down the trail.
M9.JPG
This portion of the trail weaved in and out of the trees. It was fun to kick-it-up to about 20 MPH and do the gambit.

M10.JPG
and as you climbed higher yet, more loose rocks. The Baja really does a very nice job of going through these patches of loose rocks. It is rare to get any rear well slippage.
M11.JPG
And then you come to the 24" shelf. As you can see you cannot drive around on either side. And the slope is quite steep,the camera does not do this shelf justice.
I did pick the bikes frame up and over the rocks.
M12.JPG
And jusy after the shelf, 1/4 mile of this to play with. The ride really is much better at 4 PSI tire pressure even than 5 PSI pressure. There is a little bit of sidewall roll on steep banks but if your aware of it, its no big deal.
M13.JPG
Back into the trees and coconut sized loose rocks to keep you busy.

M14.JPG
Which turns into this. I an so glad I have both tires flat-proofed.
M15.JPG
And just after that is a closed and locked gate. The trail ends for this half of the trail. But the trail goes in the other direction for a long way. This used to be the start of the trail but is not closed and no parking is allowed, so you end up starting 1/3 the way West of this gate. The good news is the Rangers have cut some fun trails to get you back to the starting point, and then continue on the Mahogany Trail even father west.

Just a slight jog to the North and I picked up another trail heading back the way I started but not the same terrain.
M17.JPG
Easy Pickin' sounds like a nice Youth trail. It ain't Brother. It was a work out.

M18.JPG
It starts out real nice....

M19.JPG
and then you have a choice again Gamble Oak or stay on Picken'? Unlike Indiana Jones, I did not choose Wisely.
I stayed on Pickin'.
M27.JPG
The trail was narrow and has blind turns. These rocks went on forever it seemed.
M16.JPG
Then I was back at Mahogany again.
M22.JPG
The trail opened up and was just meandering through the forest. It was pleasant.

M24.JPG
These boulder pits just seem to crop up from out of nowhere. There were broken motorcycle parts a few yards past this area.

M25.JPG
I've gone past the 1/2 way point and am heading West at 9,000 feet ASL.

M26.JPG
I'm almost at this mountains West Crest. It's nice and cool,and best of all, no rocks for awhile.

M27.JPG
But as soon as I say that, more got ya's pop up.

M28.JPG
I'm now on the backside of the mountain and really pouring it on...

M29.JPG
It's hard to see but there is a worn down bank going up and left that the motorcycle guys have cut into the earth. You can really take this 90 degree turn at speed, which I did.

M30.JPG
After a couple of miles I was back at the edge of the parking lot. and just a short drive to the car.
M31.JPG
For you city/town boys this paved road went for a very long way. It is no longer open to cars/trucks and I rarely every see another living soul.
you could go nuts here with your racing mini's as it make an "Eye-in-a-needle" switch back and then loops back to where this photo was taken. It's a few miles long. I park about 1/2 mile from the trail head so I have a chance to really blow out any cob-webs from Rock Climbing.

Mlast.JPG
Here she is cooling down,no worse for wear wit ha few more miles on her riding the mountain trails. The more I ride this bike,the more I like it.
Hope you enjoyed the photos. Love to have you come out here and join me on a ride or two. Hotels are cheap, good food and cold beer.