MAKING HS50 33837 CRANKSHAFT

delray

Had little down time this last weekend. I am still waiting for some tooling and parts for my other projects so i thought i would tackle this small project for another future build. crank started out has a hssk crank like my other project build,but i thought i would go one more step with this crank or i really should say multiple steps...lol . going to make a electronic ignition crank into a points crank.
first thing i want to do is just make sure my tapered angle was going to be correct by machine a piece of steel rod as a test run.
4.jpg

then clean up a old points hs50 flywheel and then some valve lapping compound on to the tapered end.
1.jpg

run the flywheel back and forth to see how it turn out. looks good. has a nice gray pattern on the end of it.
3.jpg

chuck up the crank and off we go.
8.jpg

finish taper. next step i will give it a quick polish.
7.jpg

next step i will cut down the old threads for the new smaller threads. yes the taper and the threads are smaller on the points crankshafts....nice. makes it easy.
6.jpg

cut the new 7/16-20 threads.
9.jpg

grab the old nut from one of my rupp cranks and thread it on to the new crank.
14.jpg

ready for some points action.....:scooter:
12.jpg

delray

here is few pictures cleaning up the crank surface. give you a ideal in the finished surface. i initially just clean up the bearing surface area only so you could see the difference in the finished surface.
15.jpg

i just use three different emery cloths that i had on hand. a coarse material and the a 400 and 600 finish. coarse material will take off .001 material if need too. so everything was kept on the high side after machining the new crank out.
19.jpg

and the new taper is spot on.
11.jpg

delray

think this will make a good future donor engine for my new crank. she's little rusty...lol
thanks guys for the thumbs up replies. i do appreciated...thank you and i hope this thread can help someone in need how to replace a old worn out crank or just want's to build a bearing motor. since i post this and my other crank/builds i have seen few others start to do crank mod's. thumb1.PNG
22.jpg