Manco Thunderbird Budget Build

Started on my second bike project this week--a Thunderbird I picked up for 50 bucks with a 5hp GC160 on it. Lots of work to do, so thought I'd post the progress on this project. This will be a rider, I broke the bank with my Bird Thunderhawk...so this is on the cheap.

What lurks in Japanese Crankcase

A nice looking Honda GC160 from a power washer was on the bike...it ran once I cleaned and got the water out the carburetor. I was surprised when I went to change the oil and got this...oh well, i'll just fill it and run it and change it a couple more times.

Attachments

Never ending engine surprises

Honda never intended for GC160 mufflers to come off, it seems. Both bolts snapped off even with judicious application of heat. Nothing like a trip to the auto parts store for helicoils and a bottoming tap (mine are through taps). Got the new throttle control from boats.com and will need to tinker with governor and return spring.

Attachments

Getting the frame prepped

Have been working on stripping paint off of the frame. Manco must have sprayed enamel right onto bare metal as it looks like there is no primer at all--no wonder it rusted! I'm using Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover, and this stuff is quite good. I have about six hours into stripping and priming now.

Attachments

Drip, drip, drip--the tab so far

Sat at the kitchen table last night to add up the costs for parts so far. Like I said, this is a budget build, so I'm shopping for parts far and wide. OldMiniBikes has a big piece of my wallet after the Thunderhawk build, and is getting business on this one too. I've looked for parts at sellers with free shipping to keep the bill down. So here's what I've bought so far: Max Torque 3/4 clutch $24, Throttle cable $6, Clutch guard $9, HF 4" angle grinder $11, 4" wire wheels $12, Paint and primer $16, Throttle assembly $18, 2-Snapper 1" Exhaust pipes $18 (Thanks OldMiniBikes), Helicoil set with tap (GRRRRR) $18, Manco #420 replacement chain $15, Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover $10, Hot Dog Muffler $5, Thunderbird fuel tank (used) $18. I think that adds up to $170.

I throw away all my receits from my builds , and try to bulk buy on supplies for a couple of bikea at a time
But you are way under budget for your bike I am guessing but bet most of my bikes end up costing me $300 to $500 for materials by the time I am done lol

Your vote counts...weigh in on the fuel tank

Stripped three coats of paint off the used fuel tank today. After 3 hours of sanding, it looks ok. I'll need to go to about 600 grit before it's done. Do I keep it bare plastic, warts and all, or figure out a way to paint it? BTW, I'm getting better at loading photos...trial and error.

Attachments

I have heard of but never tried the heat gun method of restoring plastic

From what I gather is you sand as you have done until as smooth as possible , then use a heat gun to kind of melt/glaze the surface of the plastic

I have wanted to try it but havnt had time lol

I have heard of but never tried the heat gun method of restoring plastic

From what I gather is you sand as you have done until as smooth as possible , then use a heat gun to kind of melt/glaze the surface of the plastic

I have wanted to try it but havnt had time lol
That's one way to do it. Another way is with a solvent like acetone/toluene. I'll tinker with the underside first. You always run the risk of melting too much. The rest of the bike is coming together nicely, but the tank....hmmm

Stripped, priming and painting underway

Finished stripping the frame and started primer and paint. Raining today, so I'm relegated to inside chores and a little overdue opinion essay for a friend of mine. The frame cleaned up nicely and I chose to leave the weld spatter on the frame. I think I got the welds pretty well neutralized so they won't start rusting again. The chain guide needed some beating to get straight but it won't look real pretty no matter what I do to it. The tree cleaned up well and it's ready for final paint. I'm really pleased how well the wheels turned out once I got the rust off of them.

Attachments

MB165

Cool project....my son has started his thunderbird rebuild as well, he will be opening a build thread in a week or so....
those GC series hondas have good power, perfect for a minibike. They have a single lobe plastic camshaft. the exhaust bolts always break, so frustrating...