Manco Thunderbird build

So the time has finally come for me to start my build. I started with a complete roller that I got for $65. I completely disassembled everything except for the front forks.

KY, there is an annual build off competition starting here in a couple of days, where you have six months to finish, voted on via popular vote. You may wish to participate in that fun event? There are several classes to build in. Details will be out soon.

When I removed the wheels I found that the rear wheel bearings were shot, so I ordered some new ones from OldMiniBikes warehouse along with a 60 tooth sprocket and the throttle assembly. I also ordered a torque converter from ebay, and I just picked up the hemi predator motor from harbor freight earlier today.

Here it is with the Motovox handlebars. I like them better than the stock Manco bars.

Right now I plan on keeping the motor stock for now, unless I feel like I need more speed once I get the bike together and take it on its maiden voyage. But for right now I'm at a stand still until the rest of the parts come in. I'll do my best to provide updates and pics. I'm also a new Dad, so with a 6 month old that's hard to do sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

KY, there is an annual build off competition starting here in a couple of days, where you have six months to finish, voted on via popular vote. You may wish to participate in that fun event? There are several classes to build in. Details will be out soon.
I'll probably do that. Thanks for letting me know. The rest of my parts won't be in until next week anyway, so that works out perfect.

Hey ky, congrats on the new baby! I'm just down the road from you in somerset. Minibikes are great fun to build and ride, and thunderbirds are a perfect platform to start with. Trust me, you'll want more power than the stock engine can give you (if it's just the stock 3.5ish hp engine)....but a stock predator 212 cc engine works great on these bikes, and they're cheap to swap in.

I'm happy for the fact that I'll still be able to lift it up. Haha. And I like what you did with the engine mount.

Thanks. I think they look way better. And it makes for a better riding position. I'm going to have to extend the foot pegs because the predator is too big for the frame.

If you are selling any of the Thunderbird stuff, if KY does not take I may be interested. I just found a roller yesterday (didn't know what it was until informed on OldMiniBikes). Planning on a winter project with my 8 yr old who is probably more mechanical than I. So far parts list are:
1. throttle cable and assembly
2. possibly tires
3. Motor and associated parts to put in and connect to wheel

basically , I have a frame, handlebars and flat tires....

Chuck

Hey Gackz, I'm in Russellville Ky. If you need some help... I'm always close buy and would be glad to help you guys out.