Manco Thunderbird?

I picked this up this evening. I believe it is a Manco Thunderbird but I could be wrong. Frame is in good condition with no rust. Seat is perfect.

I want to know if there is anything out there that will bolt on in place of the factory U-Bolts for the handlebars?

Also, is the tank a functional tank or just for looks?

Finally, is the suspension rebuildable or replaceable with anything readily available? The suspension works but I like to start fresh when doing a build.

No idea what the bike is worth so I don’t know if I did well or not.non running. Wheels and sprocket look original.

Thanks.

Attachments

Yes. Manco Thunderbird. Tank is functional. Wrong motor. Came originally w Tecumseh or 4hp Subaru...not a Briggs.
With frame in such good condition, suspension i would suspect is fine.

Thanks. Now just need to find out what risers bolt on. Also have to figure out how to remove the slop from the front forks and seat pivot. Then brace the engine plate for a 212 to prevent flex.

I have a Manco Thunderbird that I bought in the same about condition as yours it sounds..only thing different is it had all original parts including original number plate...mint buy...long story short a buddy of mine wrecked it into a frozen snow bank and bent the forks before I could even ride it the day I purchased it!!!! The replacement forks for it was next to impossible to find...so I took a different approach with my Thunderbird...and so far I believe I am the only person with a drag set up manco Thunderbird...I see alot of ppl chopper it out but the approach I took works and is super fast..with plenty more mods to do to it this weekend up coming winter...here is a list of all the current mods in the engine

MY PREDATOR 212 MODS:
Governor removed
Billet fly wheel
Billet rods
Billet retainers
Dual bearing case
Titanium rod
Port and polished head
Shaved head
22lb valve springs
Mikuni carb
Billet valves
Advanced in timing by 30degrees I believe
The bikes rated at 17hp on pump gas
18hp on methanol..

that's the current the power plant to my MANCO THUNDERBIRD...the frame is sitting on 10" black modular wheels from gopowersports.com with 3.00-10 tire on the front rim...and 3.50-10 tire on the rear rim..
The perks of running such a bigger tire is a high speed rating..the tires I bought the bike with was rated for 35mph...the new offset tires are rated around 70mph...and due to the fact my MANCO THUNDERBIRD can do speeds of upwards of 75mph, the tire change was much needed...running bigger wheels I did have to cut out the "brake bar"...
So currently my bike has no brakes...which made no difference because with the "brake bar" set up it wouldn't stop..I plan on actually doing a live axle set up in the rear here in the near future with a disc brake set up as well as a fat Hoosier...
Back to not being able to find replacement handles bars for it..I ended up buying "NITRO 44" drag mini bike bars..didn't know how I felt about them at first until I mounted them and I fell in love..very comfortable...

SO WITHOUT FURTHER A DO...I PRESENT TO YOU GUYS THE ONLY "DRAG SET UP"MANCO THUNDERBIRD I COULD FIND ANYWHERE ON LINE...

OH IN THE PICS THE 10" MODULAR WHEELS ARENT ON IT...MY BIKE IS ABOUT 75PERCENT DONE TO ME...BUT IS RIDEABLE CURRENTLY

FEEDBACK ON MY BUILD WOULD BE NICE...
POINTER...
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM
GIVE IT TO ME!!!
THANKS MINIBIKE FAMILY
HOPE YOU GUYS SEE IMG_20191024_031552301.jpg IMG_20191024_031601838.jpg IMG_20191024_031612054.jpg MY VISION

Here are some solo engine shots..as well as a couple sick pics I took of it months ago..back when that PREDATOR was only a STAGE 1 UNGOVERNED turd...lmao and yes the lightbar does work amazing..just took it off while I made my modifications IMG950611.jpg IMG950610.jpg IMG_20191009_190024863.jpg IMG950611.jpg IMG950610.jpg

Here are some solo engine shots..as well as a couple sick pics I took of it months ago..back when that PREDATOR was only a STAGE 1 UNGOVERNED turd...lmao and yes the lightbar does work amazing..just took it off while I made my modifications View attachment 251637 View attachment 251638 View attachment 251636 View attachment 251637 View attachment 251638 [/QUOT
Looks good man. Bet it’s a blast. So what forks did you put on it?
I bought the forks from a "nitro 44" drag mini bike...you can buy it either in pieces or as one...and I just bought the forks...and they worked out perfectly...couldnt of gotten any more perfect...because it was literally just a guess on the actual size and ride height of them...until them arrived at my door...but it worked out.. Screenshot_20191011-235324.png