Max Torque Clutch Springs

OK, here we go again...
In one of your early replies you stated: "I am mostly going to use this for TRAIL RIDING." (emphasis added)
So, which is it?
Michael
I don't know if you read this part or not: My ultimate goal is to make this a sweet little steet bike to go with my lowered turbo truck when it is finished (but that is way down the road). down the road means probably 2-3 years so in the mean time I am going to use it for trail riding. Again I am just trying to get information and learn. I didn't know that there would be a problem with more teeth on a clutch for that application.

I don't know if you read this part or not: My ultimate goal is to make this a sweet little steet bike to go with my lowered turbo truck when it is finished (but that is way down the road). down the road means probably 2-3 years so in the mean time I am going to use it for trail riding. Again I am just trying to get information and learn. I didn't know that there would be a problem with more teeth on a clutch for that application.
I'm done with this thread...
Michael

I want to apologize to everyone on this forum. If I didn't not provide enough information it is on me. I did not intend to offend, anger, or waste anybody's time. I am sorry if I did. I do want to use this for trail riding. I just threw the part in there about me wanting to make it a street bike, in the far future, to help everyone understand that was kind of why I was asking about mods to the GC160 because I didn't realize it was a throw away engine. I also did not know that the questions I was asking were not clear. I see that now and again I am sorry. In the future please be patient with me and I will do my best to be thorough with my questions.

So with that being said I am only using it for trail riding at this time. I will be putting the GC160 on my Murray Track2 frame. I will be using the old clutch and chain for right now. I have the chain soaking in 30w right now. (I did read the max torque article about how the soak their chains and I will do that when I get a new one) I am buying a new chain in a couple of weeks do I will do max torques chain soaking process to the new one.

I will not be doing any hill climbing or running through the mud intentionally. Just flat off-road slightly rough terrain.

Again I apologize and thank everyone for their help. Because I nom know more than I did and know what I need to look for. Thank you

Havasu Dave,
You mentioned if I have rigged the GC throttle yet and I have not. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Gear Ratio Speed Calculator (MPH)

10/72 with 16" tire, 24MPH, sounds swell for the combo.

GC160 is ok, a smooth, light, torquey, but not a mod-friendly piece, besides the basics.
Leave the governor in place, so no carb swapping to a Chikuni.
It's pretty easy to disassemble and bore/drill/hone the stock carb to a couple more MM of venturi.
The cams break after a while, but cost $6. In a less-than-3600 all day application, lifespan goes up. Pipe and jetting won't lessen life.
Pipe will help, keep it small, long.
A couple degrees advance on the timing does the same as on the more beloved engines.
A better flowing air filter, and jetting up a couple sizes will liven it up.
Stock fuel pump can be removed if a gravity-fed tank is mounted above.

If trail speeds are up, you can do like some of the bicycle guys, remove the fan and shroud.
Air cooled trail motorcycles work fine.
Reducing the fan drag subtracts less of the limited power.

Deeper, the GS versions had ball bearing supported cranks.
Some models have substantially more internal and external finning in the lower case half, for better oil cooling and windage control.
Some have a nice cast aluminum valve cover that polishes up nicely.

Nice bike

Seems like you got a lot of help so far, me in your shoes I start wrenching and get what I got together and get it out on the road/trails and see what needs to be changed to your taste.

Try the KISS* method for the first build with basic simple fun in mind. Then as you refine your needs you will figure what to change either for looks or performance.

There are tons of helpful information here and people willing to help.

Perhaps guy's here have "Been there and done that" many times over yet they mean well.

Jaime

* Keep It Simple Stupid