Maybe a Bonanza?

Hi all, I finally found a nice project to work on with my 13yr old son. Picked up this barely running mini bike in San Jose for $250. I think it is a Bonanza, but I can't tell. It has forks I've rarely seen and has a 70's era Tecumseh 5.5 with a label saying Pressure Washer Pump??

Attachments

markus

you could get them like that around 1970 I want to say they actually called them a bc1350 at the time as I think something written that way in a newspaper add, but I am not 100% that is correct. Looks like your seat is moved back from where it should be and they redrilled the the plate to lower the swingarm to out to deal with the longer shocks or something? Here is dilapidated but complete one I bought a couple years back to get parts from, It was a late 1969 tagged HS40, the tires were early date coded 70. 1970 bonanza.jpg

Thank you Markus. That's great and very helpful. It's funny, because on the Tecumseh 5.5 motor I see a sticker that names the model of the Pressure Washer. Not sure, but likely they swapped the motor at some point?

Another question, do you know where I can find a replacement for the handlebars? I can't locate a model with grooves on either side to match up with the dual bar clamps.

Thanks for your help...loving working on this with my 13yr old son!!

Addicted 2 Minis

Cool find, should be a fun project for you and your son. If you're not worried about being correct, Rupp, Lil Indian, Ruttman and many other mini bike handlebars have the two sets of grooves, some old snowmobiles do too. I'm not sure if the spacing between the grooves are the same as yours but most are pretty close.

Addicted 2 Minis

Allied leisure has Lil Indian bars, $36 plus shipping, I think they're taller than the stock bars on your bike. Other than that, eBay is another option, the Honda Z50 used two clamp style bars on some of their bikes. Just do a search on eBay for Z50 handlebars and if you see some you like, ask the seller what the measurements are for the clamp area. Treatland is an excellent place for moped handlebars, you'll probably find some there, I almost forgot about them!, https://www.treatland.tv/category-s/103.htm also WeBike out of Japan but be prepared to pay some high shipping from them!, Good luck, I hope you find some bars you like!.

markus

whats wrong with your current bars? you may be able to clean them pretty good. I think that possibly Dave Miller, or someone did repop some for the Bonanza's in the past or just have yours rechromed if you are going for a restoration (at least save your bars if should you decide to do that at a later date)

If thats not your thing, Might try the EMGO catalog and and see if there is something that comes in close they usually have measurements in the catalog. If you do find something that you like in the emgo catalog, take the parts number and search on ebay and amazon. Last time I bought bars I did it that way and got them really cheap, as everyone in the MC world carries emgo parts like everyone in the mini bike/kart world carries the Azusa line. If they don't have knurling, in your case that's probably what you want to look for because not much these days are going to be a match, you can take like a center punch and go around the bars and make some divots or scribe some marks giving the riser something to grab.

And yes, your engine is a transplant. its about 30 years newer than you bike is.