MB165 & kids vintage class Rupp Roadster

MB165

well, just waiting..... rims and some other misc items are at the chromers. I got ahold of dynocams.....they are going to regrind my cam. never heard back from mr. isky, got a parts order through windberjeff on the way too.

MB165

yeah the chromers said 4-6 weeks. ouch, so In the meantime im going through the clutches, wiring and brake plates. once I get everything it shoud go together fairly quickly. Still need one more order of misc parts from jeff, im going to get aggressive with tires and use some kenda 760 trackmasters. I guess this things gonna be a cross between and a roadster and a blackwidow.:shrug:

MB165

got the swingarm bushings done today, I took a dremel tool to the two little indents for the factory bushings and lined the swingarm bore with some seamless thinwall tubing, Its a fairly tight fit, gotta hammer/ tap it in, but I plan on JB welding it in too should help keep out moisture. There will be a thin thrust washer on each side to protect the frame. A grease fitting will be added too, gonna mock it up first, then decide where to put it.

My first parts installment came in today from restoration specialties, mmmmm pretty.....

Dynocams wants the factory cam specs, so im getting that data for them, then its off to them for a mild regrind, Im hoping they can keep the stock base circle.

Last edited:

MB165

I told them mild grind, idle to 4500 rpm, since I want to run the lighted flywheel, ill have to take it easy with the revs.

Man, nice work!

To be honest, I am watching this engine build, with an eye towards shamelessly copying you. Might be an email issue with isky- I heard from him a couple of times.

If I go with his grind, maybe we can compare specs later on.

Looks great...are you doing anything with the intake/exhaust casting? I only ask because I have a HS40 prepped to assemble now and I see some casting flash that will go....but I was wondering if its worth going further...thanks

Looks great...are you doing anything with the intake/exhaust casting? I only ask because I have a HS40 prepped to assemble now and I see some casting flash that will go....but I was wondering if its worth going further...thanks
They are pretty rough in general. I just took one apart that had a large chunk of casting right below the intake valve seat.

With the rod, cam, and carb, I'm hoping one of the machinists here will investigate valve options. :thumbsup:

MB165

I keep catching my self with this backwards block, with the exhaust on the flywheel side. Anyway, First thing Im doing is getting rid of that Rupp exhaust adaptor, big restriction there. I plan on trying OMBW's rupp HS40 header. Cant do tooo much with the porting, everythings just so thin, but each small thing adds up.... Intake flashing and the sharp corner on the right side of the port can be smoothed out. exhaust is the same, flashing and the corner on the left side of the port smoothed out. thats all im doing, Tecumseh uses the cast-in unitized seat assembly. I guess one could rip it out and weld it up for big, real, seats but still theres only about 3/16" between the seat as it is..:shrug: That timing wheel came from windber....i think i got it from peekster or ????? I cant remember anymore.
BTW tommy at dynocams said im gonna loose .010" off the stock basecircle, no way around it with blending the welds

Last edited:

MB165

thats great now comes the polishing:thumbsup:you guys make look easy:shrug:
yeah not, ive got 24 spokes and nipples done, what a pita...I actually sent the four rims to restoration specialties. Jeff has a vendor with better prices than I can find locally. Theres nothing but envoromentalist whackos around here. The local rechromers I spoke with told me they send their work out of state..... So, im having two rechromed and two stripped to later have powder coated black. Maybe Ill get the two black ones ready for resale and try to recoup some of my expenses.:shrug: