MBP's "Powell for 2" - open class

MiniBike Paul

While I have restored 3 Powells back to original "perfect" (see http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/47477-powell-restorations-4-time.html and http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/complete-mini-bikes/53530-perfect-powell-c-model.html), my "L" Powell was bought without the trick throttle, without an engine so no trick spark arrestor exhaust and without the proper chainguard, making it the perfect candidate for a stretch and a clone. Plus a few tricks I have been thinking about!
Here is what I have, time to get building . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

MiniBike Paul

The first thing I wanted done was the rear wheel/brakes.

Powells have a split wheel; one side is steel and provides the drum for an expanding brake,
operated by foot. The other side is cast aluminum including the drive sprocket!

For this bike I want a hydralic disc. To make it fit, I did the unthinkable and cut down the brake drum.

Then, my buddy computer plasma cut me a donut to bolt together with the wheel;

I plasma cut this disc mount off this extra DB30 wheel;

and using some tubing welded it all together; amazingly, it is pretty darn straight!

and then bolted it all together with my new tire -

Because I am extending the wheelbase, the hydralic brake line is not long enough; so, later,
I will need to make a connection between a cable pull and the pull on the master cylinder

So, if I can make this thing go . . . . I know it will stop!!

Next, I stretch the frame

MiniBike Paul

I'm stretching 10.5 inches. The outside tube is 7/8 with a 125 wall; I bought some 7/8
but the walls were a little thicker; today, I found an old guy in an old timey machine shop
and he took them out a little for me so 5/8, which fits in the Powell frame, would fit thru it!

I mocked up the frame, with the backbone piece cut from BAB's extra skeleton frame;

I will post more pics after this weekend! But it is all working out great. And, I ordered a
special item that is going to make this a really wonderful cruiser!

I bet there are some Powell guys out there crap'in their pants that you are doing this to a perfectly good Powell :laugh: ... Me ... I got mine so I think this is gonna f'in rock bro :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MiniBike Paul

If you do not have the original throttle, exhaust and chain cover the value is pretty much history! I have 3 perfect restorations, all original Powell!! I'm O.K. with this; so is BAB!

Crap! I look at threads like this and I just wanna take my ball and go home. I am not worthy.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: