Mega Moto suspension forks now available for $80

I74

I bought the same ones off eBay in black. Still trying to figure out the best handlebars though
Am looking at the Wald 870 ''high rise'' chrome handle bars.
They are for bicycles, as the center is 1', but the rest of the bar is 7/8.
The center is not very wide, & riser clamps should clear each side just fine.
The rise on them is 9.5 , & the width is 24.5.
They do have a bit of kick back, but doesn't seem to be much.
Niagra cycle had them last summer for 12 bucks , but it appears they went out of business.:(
Am finding them now for between 17 - & 25 bucks, normally w/ free ship.
The are pretty much the cheapest / nicest, - ''correct'' type bars that I have came across yet.

Why not use the fender mount bosses on the fork for a low mount fender that moves with the wheel? The fender would then do a better job of stopping flung crud. If not using them to mount the fender, use them to mount a fork brace; better yet, do a combination fork brace/fender mount. If not using them for anything, remove the bosses for a cleaner look. Think I'll go fork brace/fender mount with a bobbed fender just for looks (it will be too short to provide much function). Just as with the wheel spacers, you have to get it right to avoid binding the fork. Just throwing out some ideas.

Random internet photo of a fork brace/fender mount.
fork brace - fender mount.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=for...uOvfAhVpjK0KHcq6Bt0Q_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=966

Why not use the fender mount bosses on the fork for a low mount fender that moves with the wheel? The fender would then do a better job of stopping flung crud. If not using them to mount the fender, use them to mount a fork brace; better yet, do a combination fork brace/fender mount. If not using them for anything, remove the bosses for a cleaner look. Think I'll go fork brace/fender mount with a bobbed fender just for looks (it will be too short to provide much function). Just as with the wheel spacers, you have to get it right to avoid binding the fork. Just throwing out some ideas.

Random internet photo of a fork brace/fender mount.
View attachment 238428
https://www.google.com/search?q=for...uOvfAhVpjK0KHcq6Bt0Q_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=966
I like the higher mount as well and I had the mount available for use . But certainly your set up is very nice !

I got these forks on a monster moto mb80 and a db30s (older style frame). The forks make the ride much more comfortable. I'm tempted to get some for an AZUSA frame I got.
My wife has a MM105,I've been thinking of getting her a set. Then her 105 can be a "Mini Me" bike, and closer match my MM212 -Br Pro!

I74

Well,, mine is on it's way finally ...
Ordered my front end & sprocket Thurs. & it didn't get shipped till today, because of MM doing warehouse inventory.
The ''SURVEY15'' 15% off code worked just fine !
It is still supposed to be good for the rest of this month, through 1/31/19

Talked to one of the head reps with them the other day, & he let out that they are in the process of some new offerings coming up yet this year.
He didn't give me details, other than new model electric bikes.
I asked him if any of them might be Lithium powered, all he could tell me was that he didn't have details yet.

Am going to get the wife an E -1000, 1000 watt., & remove the 3 lead acid ''boat anchor'' battery's that run in series, & install 2 - 10s 4P ''11 amp'' 36v lithium packs in parallel, w/ built in ''BMS'' circuit monitoring.
2 of those packs weigh about the same as 1 lead acid batt !
Should remove around 20lbs of high center of gravity weight, & run about 1 1/2 hrs., with noticeable performance gains.

Plan on eventually putting one of these front ends on it also. :cool:

Ian

Well,, mine is on it's way finally ...
Ordered my front end & sprocket Thurs. & it didn't get shipped till today, because of MM doing warehouse inventory.
The ''SURVEY15'' 15% off code worked just fine !
It is still supposed to be good for the rest of this month, through 1/31/19

Talked to one of the head reps with them the other day, & he let out that they are in the process of some new offerings coming up yet this year.
He didn't give me details, other than new model electric bikes.
I asked him if any of them might be Lithium powered, all he could tell me was that he didn't have details yet.

Am going to get the wife an E -1000, 1000 watt., & remove the 3 lead acid ''boat anchor'' battery's that run in series, & install 2 - 10s 4P ''11 amp'' 36v lithium packs in parallel, w/ built in ''BMS'' circuit monitoring.
2 of those packs weigh about the same as 1 lead acid batt !
Should remove around 20lbs of high center of gravity weight, & run about 1 1/2 hrs., with noticeable performance gains.

Plan on eventually putting one of these front ends on it also. :cool:

Ian
The e-bike sounds like a cool project. I've thought about buying an MM-E1000 but have been concerned about lack of power and/or range. I don't know enough about electrical things to do such an upgrade, maybe you could put together instructions for those of us who understand nuts and bolts better than electrons. Amazon had a nice MM-E1000 for a while but it seems to be gone now, it had the suspension fork and "mag wheels" (MM's term; I'd call them composite wheels for lack of a better term, I'm guessing they have a cast aluminum center bolted to a steel rim). It was a decent deal at $499.99, $100 more than the regular MM-E1000.

51rXv6dYB3L.jpg

I74

Thanks for the post & interest Charles. :)
Will be more than happy to start a thread on this once I get rolling on it !!
The Lithium ion BMS packs are pretty much top shelf stuff at the moment.
They are not near as volatile as lithium polymer, & don't have to be put in a certain storage voltage state like those either.
Basically just charge them up like on a DeWALT Lithium power tool ect. & let er rip. Then charge them back up for re use & storage ect.
''You want to store Lithium ''ion'' packs fully charged.''
The BMS ''battery monitor circuitry'', is a protection / balance circuit board, that is integrated on top of the pack before it is shrink wrapped.
Each 10s 36v pack, has 40 individual lithium ion ''AA'' size cells, that on a 10 - 11 amp pack, are around 2.6 amps ea. ''2600ma''.
From what I have been reading, Tesla uses these type of cells in their cars, but there is a ''bazillion'' of them, in their suit case size battery contraption. LOL
Think the electric Indy type race cars use this stuff also.

The packs I will be getting are about 190 mm long, 90mm high, & 70mm wide.
They weigh around 4.4 lbs. ea. & will fit in the original batt. area no problem ,& only take up about 1/2 the room.
The ones I found come directly from China, & cost around 100 bucks ea.

A replacement ''boat anchor'' lead acid battery set for that bike, is around 150 bucks.

With the 2 lithium packs in parallel, you want to charge them individually, with 2 separate chargers.
The chargers are only around 10 bucks ea.
Shipping on this stuff is free though.
You then basically just build a parallel wiring harness with connectors, ''which I would gladly do for any one else down the road also''.....

for you db30 owners who installed a fork, how did you install a set of riser brackets without the nut on the bottom hitting the frame as you steered?

for you db30 owners who installed a fork, how did you install a set of riser brackets without the nut on the bottom hitting the frame as you steered?
Without seeing what your problem is, I'll make a guess or two. Maybe add a spacer between the top triple clamp (plate) and the bearing to raise the triple clamp (a few washers should work if you don't need much). Spacer should contact only the bearing inner race. Maybe add some offset to the triple clamps (both, equal) by welding plate to the backside and drilling a hole rearward of the existing hole. Nearly all motorcycles have some offset so it shouldn't cause a problem as long as don't overdo it (an inch should be fine, may even improve handling).

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...k_vfAhVM4qwKHcwsD_kQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=966

Offset.png

Got the bars mocked up today. Also ran into the issue with the bolts hitting the frame. I'll need to get shorter ones or cut these, but didn't think about also adding some washers like above if clearance is still an issue. I also just went with some cheap risers from Amazon. The top clamp only needed a tiny amount of work to get them to fit.

I went with some Pro-Taper Seven Eights bars for an XR50. They're only a bit wider than the stock handlebar that was on the bike. I'm at a standstill now waiting for more parts to show up in the mail for it.