MG - Custom Gokart

Iv been planning this project for a long time but didnt get the parts I wanted to use. I still dont have all the parts but im making it work with what iv got. Its going to be an MG-J2 style car like the classic trials cars in the uk. Its about the size of a golf cart. Iv got a rear end from something. Its very small maybe a morris minor. Its got manual lincage brakes so i can make skidder brakes on the back. Im thinking motorcycle discs on the front but i dont have any parts for that yet. I also dont have wheels and tires which is the main missing parts. I was thinking motorcycle wheels but its hard to find them at the junk yard especially matching and id probably have to buy tires. So Im thinking i can find little spare wheels from cars that have acceptable tread and all matching. I will then cut out the centers and make my own with spokes. I can always put chains on it if i want more grip. Im mainly using it offroad. The engine is a v twin 18hp i converted to a horizontal shaft Its going to have the pto facing forward to a torque converter then back to the cut off motorcycle trans its from a yamaha 175 2 stroke. Its got to be that way because the input goes the opposite direction as the output and the rear end. for reverse iv got a winch that i rigged a sprocket onto that will go to the driveshaft using a 1 way sprocket from a bmx bike. the driveshaft will be a cv axle from a 4 wheeler. So I think that should work out. I will be able to change the gear ratio from the trans to the driveshaft even though that shouldnt be a problem with the torque converter. I shouldnt have to manually shift it much at all. The front hubs are from a golf cart the bolt pattern matches the back. I will have to rig up discs somehow maybe integrated into the wheel hubs.

Attachments

Im making progress. I got the rear end all mounted up and the battery box in place aswell as the upper perimeter welded on the body. The driveshaft modified to mount up on either end. The back got a flange and the front got a hub for the 3/4" keyed shaft. Got the dash and cowl going. and i figured out my one way sprag idea for reverse wasnt going to work so im going to use a manual clutch for that. It came from a reel mower i think. But its belt drive so i had to modify the winch again to accept the pulley. Got the rack and pinion mounted up and the jackshaft. I ended up using a lovejoy at the transmission because i couldnt get to not wobble with just a sleeve welded on. The engine mounts are also done. I have a new idea for the front suspension. A longitudinal leaf spring will act as the upper a arm it will make things simpler but i still need to fab up lower arms.

Attachments

Making good progress. The front suspension is basicly done except for the brakes. I went with a transverse leaf spring for simplicity and i can adjust the amount of leafs for height and stiffness. The back end of the car is fairly complete i got the brakes cleaned up and back together. just have to do the brake handles and cables. Next i will work on finishing the driveshaft details and the grill. Then i can work on the exhaust, hood and firewall. Also would like to get going on the windshield and top. those little front wheels are temporary as i said im going with large spoked wheels. Im going with a single exhaust out the left side because the driver side will have the brake handles on the side of the car and with the steering shaft and hanging pedals i dont want the added clutter on that side.

Attachments

I havnt been working on it much lately but iv got one and a half wheels done. I used 15" spare tires. Cut the center out and the lips off to narrow them a bit. I dont have matching tires yet so ill wait to put them on. for the center hub i used half of a 4 wheeler rim cut the weld and then cut it 2" deep to fit over the brake drum. Then welded on a piece of exhaust tubing and reinforced it. For the spokes I cut up wire from some old tomato cages got it centerd up and welded them all in place. Still have to make the center caps with faux spinners

Attachments

The floorboards are in and i got the hood sides and hood made. The sides are sheetmetal from an old furnace and the louvered side scoups are from a lawn tractor. I routed the exhaust out the one side behind the scoup it will go into a custom silencer and out in front of the back fender. The hood is aluminum i formed pretty easy and put a piano hinge down the center that attatches at either end with a bolt down through and wingnut on the underside. I still have to do the latches and stuff but its looking great. It was kinda fun working with the aluminum I almost never do but i had a big sheet of it and figured i could get away with it here. I started on the grill front sheetmetal today so we'll see how that turns out.

Attachments

I made up a windshield frame just using conduit. It will need some sort of clips to hold the glass and frame in place on top but the bottom will sit in the bottom nicely where i bent the sheetmetal in a Z. Also painted the wheels and cut the tire for more grip and sanded down the ugly letters. It came out great doesnt even look like a spare tire now.

Attachments