michigan law on titleing mini bikes

Was at secretary of state yesterday reading while i waited, orv brochure which says mini bikes,4 wheelers,anything,must be titled before getting orv sticker in mi.you have to get police to verify vin.SOS check for previous titles,and apply for title.the cop said,without title you cant prove you own it,and he has confiscated many himself.I titled a baja doddle bug 30,same day so i know it can be done.be careful,at least in wayne,mi.they say law has been there since 1991

^?
I think he laid it in general for you. It's roughly the same here too. Get police/sheriff to verify VIN and/or assign VIN then proceed to Sec of State or DMV for paperwork and payments.

I have 2 Heathkit Hilltoppers and a Heald VT-10 .. one of my Hilltoppers came with a title so this subject interests me.

Last I heard to get a mini bike titled in Michigan you needed to register it through another State (Mane?) for over $200 then transfer the title back to Michigan ...

I was looking into putting ORV stickers on them and learned they have to have a titled to do that.
Knowing at the time the only way to get a title was an out of state deal I gave up.
Now Timmmaahh says its easy peasy ...

To the best of my Knowledge my minis don't have VIN numbers so is do Doodlebugs have VINs? If so am I still in the same out of state titling boat? Is there a way to get around no VIN?

mini bike title

So what is the procedure for titling mini bikes in Michigan?
if you have a bill of sale it helps,for the db30 i did since i bought it from sears,the other one i had to get paperwork from sos and cop to verify vin,turn in paperwork,no problem.i was told they no longer retag vins,at sos and to do this takes a long time.just titled my 68 lomart,no problem but i had rept.

vins on mini bikes

my doodle has a vin 16 digits,my 1968 lomart also has one but its 5 numbers.the old ones have vin on motor plate,newer are on steering neck.ive been told you can get an assembled title but all 5 of mine have vins.if police runs vin and its stolen, you might have a problem,but in mi most of us never titled them sos wouldnt do it back then.in 2011 when i bought doodle,i asked how do i prove i own it,they said keep rcpt.the law has been around since 91,but sos seems to keep it a secret.get the sos orv booklet i had to show clerk this existed

I filled out a yellow paper, Vin# etc. They ran numbers, 10 minutes latter I payed tax fee and title in the mail. I needed appraised value also, And a copy of Kelly blue book was just fine! Any legit business can say value of the bike. One thing I learned is only give them one number, If engine has diff number like most do,then ya need state police inspection etc. Even if you assemble a basket case bike, only run the frame numbers.. This is all fine until you need high insurance coverages/ policy after sumthin happens ? like anything that needs second persons opinion, its a grey area of there knowledge. in my county, I just buy an ORV sticker for all and go riding!

minibikegi,i just told them they were worth 100 ea she didnt care,the kaw i bought the frame off ebay for 15 but yes only give frame number to sos they get confused easily.they also told me i need to title mopeds i think they just want many 11.00 from me

went today to title the last one,to sos,different lady told me they dont title orv s when i told her i did 2 on friday,she said next in line please.this is why wayne co. sos are a pain in the ---,im going back after the other girl comes back from lunch.

KustomKartKid,Im new to this site and currently recovering,so i spend way too much time on the computer,I hope I didnt offend you,your knowledge of this stuff is amazing,since i will be restoring my lomart,I may need info you have.I'm real and its me typing,that day was a fluke i think 3 of us were on line at the same time.have you ever seen a lomart panther?my dad found the original manual for it,and now im trying to find where he put it,i will post it when i find it

I was just joking around with you, there is a senior member on here with the same forum name give or take an M or an H....

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/members/timmahhhhh.html

I found it amusing that two people would have such a unique user name...maybe it's the name of a band or a movie character and I'm old and not very hip to that stuff.

My point was if you guys start talking in the same thread it will get very confusing......ah never mind I guess it wasn't funny.

Here's a little history on Lomart if you're interested...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...-suppliers-dealers-post499833.html#post499833

Last edited:
I was just joking around with you, there is a senior member on here with the same forum name give or take an M or an H....

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/members/timmahhhhh.html

I found it amusing that two people would have such a unique user name...maybe it's the name of a band or a movie character and I'm old and not very hip to that stuff.

My point was if you guys start talking in the same thread it will get very confusing......ah never mind I guess it wasn't funny.

Here's a little history on Lomart if you're interested...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...-suppliers-dealers-post499833.html#post499833
I got where you were going with that...lol
60890088.jpg

yes thats where it started,but it was taken on ebay,so i kept adding letters till it worked.wonder if thats his ebay name.at least my name is TIM

yea their the same,here in mi.its secretary of state,they hire welfare people first to get them off the dole,and man they dont want to be there.1.5 hours today 4 people before me

I got where you were going with that...lol
I'm glad somebody did.

yes thats where it started,but it was taken on ebay,so i kept adding letters till it worked.wonder if thats his ebay name.at least my name is TIM
I figured it was a cultural reference that had gone over my head. That's what happens when you don't own a TV.

As far as actual paint codes I don't think mini bike manufacturers ever shared that info like automotive manufacturers did for the auto body industry. All they did was give them names like Bannana Yellow, Pineapple Gold or Groovy Green. Your best bet would be to find an area of the bike (maybe bottom of the motor plate) that still has a patch of the orig. paint and have a good auto paint supply shop use the color spectrum gun/camera to match it.