Mikuni 22mm

I've been riding the bike around after completing it and it runs pretty well. I bolted the mikuni 22mm carb from affordablegokarts.com right up to the motor and it runs pretty well. i know this has been discussed in the past but i'm having trouble finding it. the bike runs better with the choke on rather than off. it runs ok either way but i get some back firing with the choke open. i've read people having to put larger jets in these. to be honest i'm not really sure what sizes come with it. i may have missed that simple information somewhere. any tips and advice for this noobie will be welcomed. i attached a couple pics of the carb as it is installed just as a reference.

You have two removable jets, high speed and low speed. On affects the other, even though they're desired to do two different functions. Jet selection totally depends on your pressure density, altitude, temperature, and of course engine and it's components.

I recommend the read below, especially paying attention to adjusting that needle. Those five positions change everything. That might be all you need to do.

Once you think you've got it figured out, you might invest in some pilot and main jets so you can play around.

Don't pinch the bowl o ring like I did. It takes a long time to get a replacement. :thumbsup:

Mikuni carburetor operation and tuning

for my clones as well as my tec HS50 I am running a 130 main jet and a 15 or 17.5 pilot. I did this based off of Isky's site where he lists the 130 main jet and 17.5 pilot as the most used on clones. Dave is spot on about the bowl O-ring it seems to come out and grow. If you let it sit and dry out somehow the rubber shrinks back a bit.

Don't pinch the bowl o ring like I did. It takes a long time to get a replacement. :thumbsup:

Mikuni carburetor operation and tuning
Dave is spot on about the bowl O-ring it seems to come out and grow. If you let it sit and dry out somehow the rubber shrinks back a bit.
Good to know it wasnt just mine! Didnt pinch it just was a bugger to get back in like it had swollen!! Just used light pressure and the smooth rounded end of a dental pick to work the ring back in! Never ran into this problem with my other carbs! :shrug: Thanks for the tip on letting it dry out Ole4! :thumbsup: