MIKUNI (CHIKUNI) 22MM TUNING PROBLEMS

It is a air bleed adjustment screw used to adjust the amount of air mixed with the fuel metered by your pilot jet. Your pilot jet sizes are nowhere near what I use but your carb may use different jets than mine. I have 5 mini bikes that use those carbs from hs50’s to predators. The main jets range from 120 on the hs50 to 130 on the clones. Pilots are the stock 15.

Li'l Popeye

It is a air bleed adjustment screw used to adjust the amount of air mixed with the fuel metered by your pilot jet. Your pilot jet sizes are nowhere near what I use but your carb may use different jets than mine. I have 5 mini bikes that use those carbs from hs50’s to predators. The main jets range from 120 on the hs50 to 130 on the clones. Pilots are the stock 15.
I have Keihin jets in 1 carb. In the other I have Mikuni jets. Pilot 10 main 100 in one bike. In the other bike pilot:12,5 main 120. Gx160. Sparkplug was black, is beginning to turn brownish now. 20200712_144155.jpg

In all my mikunis except one they are running 15 pilot and 130 main...I have a hot rod Hs40 that has a 17.5 pilot and a 130 main...all run outstanding...elevation, humidity also play a role in these...

Li'l Popeye

In all my mikunis except one they are running 15 pilot and 130 main...I have a hot rod Hs40 that has a 17.5 pilot and a 130 main...all run outstanding...elevation, humidity also play a role in these...
Here in Netherlands I am just above sealevel. Fuel is Euro 98. I don't know how that compares to American fuel, but the 98 octane number is measured in a different way as it is measured in America.
https://motocrossactionmag.com/ask-...ave-so-much-more-octane-than-american-fuel-2/

if he is running a stock cam? the jetting is going to be way under 130 main jet. I think the stock 22mm mikuni/clone carb's come with a 95?
ive got one with a 95 main jet. It bogs from 3/4 throttle to full throttle. Idles great. Starts great. But bogs. Everything I’ve seen has a 130 in it. It looks like a crazy amount of fuel is coming out of the jet at full throttle! The link to the carb bible doesnt tell you which way to go!

ive got one with a 95 main jet. It bogs from 3/4 throttle to full throttle. Idles great. Starts great. But bogs. Everything I’ve seen has a 130 in it. It looks like a crazy amount of fuel is coming out of the jet at full throttle! The link to the carb bible doesnt tell you which way to go!
You might have a lean bog but I gave up on my chikuni after never being able to tune it. Swapped it out for a vm22-133 and it was easy to tune.

I put a 22mm chikuni on my Hs50, use a 95 main jet and the bike is a beast.
I think it depends on a lot of variables.
Engine ported, cam, springs, intake, exhaust, flywheel, rod, piston, bore.
The clutch, the T/C and how they are set up. The size of the wheels, tires, wheelbase, strictly street or off-road, the weight of the rider, gear ratio etc.
I don’t think there’s any special sauce that applies to all bikes.
just imho, ymmv

Li'l Popeye

You might have a lean bog but I gave up on my chikuni after never being able to tune it. Swapped it out for a vm22-133 and it was easy to tune.
I have had a Chikuni that wasn't tuneable, too. Tried everything, pilot jet sizes, needle clip heights, main jets, air screw, etc.
Solved it all at once by adjusting the float height. Now I always check float height before I start messing with jets.
I don't know how high the float level should be, but I do know when it is to low.
Chikuni is now a good tuneable carb.

Li'l Popeye

25mm... measured from bottom inside or outside?
I have set it to approx 3-5mm below the flange. Where the (I don't know the name of the part) "float bucket" meets the carb body.
I had problems if it was 10mm or so. Obvious because the pilot jet was just barely in de fuel level. Hard time starting it sometimes.

On the chikuni's I run I just remove float bowl hold carb upside down and make sure the mold line on the black plastic float is parallel to the base of carb that the float bowl attaches to.

Li'l Popeye

Found this video, that is how I measure fuel level height (not to be mixed up with float height). And it is about the same height as I set it. I do have my carb more level.