milwaukee chop saw

I just got a milwaukee 15 amp metal chop saw and it keeps blowing the breaker. Its a 20 amp breaker which should work fine. Its the third breaker i tried so it cant be that and i switched out the outlet and the wire too. It also blows other 15 and 20 amp circuits i tried it on so either i havnt got a big enough breaker or the saw is faulty. The problem is at startup it doesnt have a capactor for soft startups so it blows it straight away. Any ideas? Does anybody else have this saw?

No But I had sort of the same problem with a big vacuum I had at one time. I ended up just replacing the breaker with a new one of the same size.

After that it always ran and only blew when I overloaded the circuit.

Is there anything else on the same circuit? I had this problem when I got my Metabo shop saw. When using a saw like this, it has to be the only thing on the circuit, otherwise the breaker will always blow on startup.

Even then, it will blow the breaker if you really push hard on the saw.

I scanned this from one of my books. You may be able to build a device to reduce startup current and prevent the breaker from blowing. This plan is for a 3 phase motor, but it's the same thing. Just remove 2 phases from the power circuit (and the overload is not necessary in your case)

If all else fails, this will take care of the problem:

Last edited:
Yup thats what i was thinking some sort of soft start device i havnt got down to the store yet to see if they make somthing like that that i can just plug into. My father e-mailed milwaukee to see if they had anything to say about it so we are waiting for their reply. Iv been running it off my compressor circuit and sofar it hasnt blown. We shall see. Thanks for the diagram :)

I heard back from milwaukee. They said the initial start can draw 30+ amps! So wtf is it rated at 15 amps for? i dunno but id rather not run a 30 amp breaker and set somthing aflame. So he also said we could use an extention cord 10 guage and a minimum of 15' to supress the shock. And thats exactly what i have been using while plugged into the compressor outlet and its been working. So i am going to run it with the extention cord on its outlet with a 20 amp breaker and see how it works. He also said square-d is more sensitive than other brands but im not changing out my box. Also an eletrician i know has offered to come and check its load but for now ill try this