mini bike transmission?

yep im a new guy to all this ''technology'' so forgive me if i screw something up haha,anyways i was on eBay ordering a clutch for my custom baja heat with the 5.5 Honda,and wanted to know if there are any ''transmissions'' for minibikes they have them on motorcycles and scooters, i already know about jack-shafts and torque converter ,but i mean like a manual 4 speed or something? do they exist?-will

Motra

Welcome newcomer! Aside from an old British motorcycle transmission I've never heard of anything. The Mustang Trail Machine used a 3 speed Burman gear box with a manual clutch and kick starter. There have been some high-low gear boxes but those are stop and shift type boxes.

Those are mower trans-axles. Some can be converted to run on the fly, but they are big and would take up much space , plus they are typically used with a belt tensioner system and thats with a vert shaft motor.

yea,now i know what your taking about.I had this crazy idea, about making my own. it would be like a bike gear shifting set up adapted to the back of the mini bike,(multiple gears) shifted from the handle bars, but with only like 3 different gears and much more beefy and strong ,to handle the mini bike chain. i would have to make a derailleur from scratch tho. i don't think it would work but then again it might i have no idea, i guess it would be like a 5 hp mountain bike:eek:ut:? what are your thoughts on that,is it complete insanity or possible ? thanks-will

I have been researching the DIY transmission, and a method of making it easily.

The easiest way I have been able to come up with is, a High/Low 2 speed, with chained gearing (a chain variant of constant mesh) and a dog clutch slider(to shift gears).
Harley's have and alot of other motorcycles have a similar system(minus the chains).

Now I suggested chains, as they are easier to "make" then hobbing out new gears. Not everyone has those tools nor experience with that kind of machining.
There is a fellow out there on the net, who has done this exact thing. He made it for his gokart, and apparently it worked alright.

So a dog clutch method is about how your going to achieve this easily and for it to have a glimmer of a DIY hope(MY opinion).

Edit- Oh the derailleur idea wont really work too well as that chain doesnt want to flex much at all sideways.

if i were to try a transmission i would use a peerless 350 or 400. theyre really good . i wouldnt use a 700 series though theyre not as beefy and dont like high rpms. the drive isnt parallel to the output though on them so you would need to position the engine forward to back so the output is facing the back tire and stand the tranny verticle.first pic is the 700 series 5 speed. theyre very common but wouldnt work as well. the second pic is the 350 or 400 style id use but they are harder to find and only 3 speed. people put bearings in them to replace the bushings and they last forever

I have often seen some people do this, but cant for the life of me see any writeup on this or otherwise show how to do this conversion.
Any one have a link?

rmm727

I have a Blaster engine that I was going to do this to. Was going to have a dummy shaft made to replace the crank so it would be more balanced as well as being easier for a sprocket to bolt up. Mine would be a manual clutch 6spd. Would still use the Blaster's manual clutch.

That would be cool to see. There isnt any real writeup on this conversion, so I hope you will make a thread on the conversion.
Just a quick look on the platform, it looks like that would be a great candidate for a gearbox.

I see that alot of the dirtbikes and quads use a split case design and from what I can tell use engine oil for trans lubrication.

rmm727

I the Blaster case is a little big. Mine was intended for a mini chopper. Not sure it would ever fit into a mini bike. I seem to remember someone telling me that a KX60 was a 6spd and if that is so, those are a rather small engine. Might be a better platform to hunt for.