Mini Rokon - A 2x2 Azusa Build

I have a build thread on here somewhere for the big bike with lots of pics.

KB2ROCKET, I love where you are going with your bike, but it looks like it is going to be very heavy...... probably heavier than mine. I can tell you from experience that my 275-300 lb bike is not easy to handle offroad.

I haven't ridden it offroad yet, but I think the 3x3 will climb better than the 2x2. The front wheel doesn't have much weight on it when climbing a steep hill, so it doesn't help as much as you might think. Having the front wheel pulling really makes a difference in low traction situations like sand, snow, mud.

Aston jag, thanks, it is an autoclutch, so I just let off the gas to shift. The levers are both brakes..... no foot controls.

I agree. my two engine bike even has an engine on the forks and gnarly tires and it spins going up up hills. But its awesome in the snow. Of course the front isnt linked to the back so its a free-for-all up there. You just dont encounter many situations where the front has more traction than the back so it works out

Last edited:
I just put up a walk around video on YouTube, but I can't get it to link. Just search "3x3 mini bike walk around".

Last edited:
Wardog, congratulation sir the bike looks great. I can't wait to see what else you have in mind for the add-ons.

What is the OD of your handle bars? I am trying to find a thumb throttle for mine but my bars are 1" making it tough to find anything...
Brakes included, I am also interested in Disc Brakes if you have info on them.

KB2ROCKET

Looks great looks like I will need to make mine a in line 4 wheeler to keep up :laugh:
No seriously I am still collecting parts but I am somewhat scared that I won't be able to pull this off anyways awesome bike it is hard for me to understand how 2 inline wheels don't adversely effect turning

OD of the handlebars is 7/8". My brakes are Azusa drums and leave a lot to be desired. The big bike has Airheart mechanical disc brakes that work much better.

KB2ROCKET, I'm sure you can pull it off, you are already more dedicated than most with your parts collection. Just break it up into small tasks so you can feel some accomplishment along the way, and one day the to do list will be completely marked off.

I don't want to offend you. I'm just throwing this out there in case you think it is a cool idea, but I can't help thinking that your parts pile lends itself to a 3x3 trike. Basically the same drivetrain layout you have planned already with f/r suspension still, but with 2 back wheels. Think Honda Big Red on ROIDS! The weight wouldn't be as much an issue, and it would allow you to actually use your power and ridiculously tough drivetrain to drag stuff, pull trailers, have big cargo racks, etc. Also, it could have enough buoyancy to take to the open water!

KB2ROCKET

Back in the 80's I owned a Honda 250r 3 wheeler it was a nightmare on hill sides always wanting to point you down hill . My primary purpose for this bike is to explore this 40 acre piece of land in the middle of the nevada desert I can get close to it by 4wd jeep but I need the bike to drag building materials and serve as a backup to get me to to closest town 20 miles away getting stuck out there can be a death sentence

Perhaps a narrow 4 wheel design is worth looking into after all handle bars are the widest point of a bike that limit what trail you can go down so the goal would be not to exceed that width ..... hummmm?

Last edited:
AAh A fellow waste lander. Grew up in the Mojave, and yea 20 miles on foot will kill most folks before they made it half way. Most of them don't make it 3 or 4 miles from their car.

I grew up in the flat muddy rice fields of souheast TX. Three wheelers dominated there, and lots of people still prefer them over quads for their easy steering effort and tight turning radius. I have a Honda 300ex motor, 5spd with reverse, maybe I should use it to build a 3x3 utility trike? Hmmmmmmm......

The 3x3 is more versatile than I thought...... I have been experimenting with its mole eradication feature..... works like a dream, ha!

Hey Aston, it will be a little bit of a drive, but there are a couple events down here that you might be interested in. Dirt Quake USA is July 21-22 in Castle Rock WA, looks like there were quite a few minis last year. Also, Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags is August 27 in Toutle WA, they have minibike drags. I plan on going to both.

Hey Aston, it will be a little bit of a drive, but there are a couple events down here that you might be interested in. Dirt Quake USA is July 21-22 in Castle Rock WA, looks like there were quite a few minis last year. Also, Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags is August 27 in Toutle WA, they have minibike drags. I plan on going to both.
Yes, that is a bit of a drive from here. I checked out the pictures of the recent 2017 Billetproof event, looks like fun.