mini uke in progress (sceptre)

KB2ROCKET

the wood is hawaian Koawood just like the original
I think the fret board will be walnut the nut will be bone the frets will be stainless steel
I am undecided what to make the bridge out of
but the tunners will be brass and the strings will be 6lb. test fishing line
if I get super lucky this will be fully functional

Last edited:
I got a old ukulele from my years in Hawaii. Not a koa wood gem or nothing but it holds a tuning good. And I could play it! Makes me wanna go dig it out again.

Ironwood would make a great bridge, hard to work with but it's sure durable and ages well. We had an exotic wood seller in Edmond Oklahoma who would sell me scraps that I used to make pipes for a local head shop, I used antler too with leather wrapped brass stems. They were for tobacco use only though :wink: but the head shop closed and the other one close to me won't buy anything but glass so I'm now out of the business.

Neat project KB2. Haven't seen you in awhile.

The Hawaiian music scene and the uke have come a very long way. Jake Shimabukuro is a master who has gained some notoriety. Here is one of many vids on the 'net. He starts hammering it at about 3:20

[video=youtube;0gaWuadgL3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gaWuadgL3g[/video]

KB2ROCKET

The problem with iron wood is because it's a oily wood it doesn't glue very well I have a piece of lignum vitae it's very hard and has the same problem

"Ironwood would make a great bridge, hard to work with but it's sure durable and ages well. We had an exotic wood seller in Edmond Oklahoma who would sell me scraps that I used to make pipes for a local head shop, I used antler too with leather wrapped brass stems. They were for tobacco use only though but the head shop closed and the other one close to me won't buy anything but glass so I'm now out of the business."

Maybe theyll take them on consignment?

Great progect. You made another mini uke before didnt you? That one was really cool. Very nicely done

Last edited: