"Minibike build off" heathkit Boonie Trike

KB2ROCKET

I will post the details of this build as they unfold in the mean time you can get an idea of what Im building by going to my site and clicking on the heathkit link Plese note in these pictures the components are just mocked up and the engine is just sitting there not bolted in this is just to give you a idea what im trying to do

KB2ROCKET

over the thanksgiving holiday I will have some time to work on the minibike/tractor/trike and I will update the picture site:thumbsup::clap:

Dang, that thing is lookin' SCARY...

It's a monster minitrike...probably won't be too much terrain it can't conquer...

You're gonna have some serious money invested in this build, aren't ya?...

KB2ROCKET

believe it or not about 6 years ago I saw a minibike on ebay that had a big single V tread in the back and it was done up in john deere colors I liked it so much that I bought this booniebike with the intent of making my own version of the tractor mini and I have been collecting parts here and there but I never found the time or motivation to get started until the minibike build off got me going and most importantly gave me a deadline finishing it
I dont really care about winning but I do want to finish this project. as far as money invested so far I guess it is kinda pricey to buy a boonie roller 2 mounted tera wheels and tires a cast iron 1927 sattley tractor seat a gravely gas tank a Clements Built GX 390 racing engine but lucky for me I bought these things years ago. the last big ticket item to buy will be a torque converter setup that can handle 30hp I have my eye on a 94c duster setup
now as far as terrain I know right now that this baby wont want to turn with that little front wheel and the live rear axle but it should do fine in a straight line
WOW what a cool way to put a bunch of garage stuff in one place!!

delray

wow, thats what i call real hard tail bike:thumbsup:
i thought only people here in wisconsin only painted things john deere green
:scooter:...........:thumbsup:

KB2ROCKET

heres A different link with a litte more of todays progress I have a long way to go and wont be able to work on it again till around Christmas but I was able to make the engine mount adapter work today this means that the original heathkit mounting holes wont be disturbed plus I added some green to the GX390 engine. I think you guys are going to love what I have in mind for the clutch "hint" (just think TAV 94c)
happy holidays http://community-2.webtv.net/KB2products/HeathkitBoonieTrike/

Last edited:

jeep4me

You make me sick, sick with envy!!!!! That trike is awesome:thumbsup:I want to do something like that with the boonie I just picked up. Of course, I'm from Michigan so I'd have to do mine in FORD BLUE.... Can you give me some pics of the rear axle setup? What did that axle come off from?

I have to admit, when I first saw the whole trike thing, I didn't like it. Now that I see the direction you are taking with it, I have to say it is downright sweet.

I would seriously consider a diff though, it would suck to have that thing bite weird and send you into a faceplant.

KB2ROCKET

You make me sick, sick with envy!!!!! That trike is awesome:thumbsup:I want to do something like that with the boonie I just picked up. Of course, I'm from Michigan so I'd have to do mine in FORD BLUE.... Can you give me some pics of the rear axle setup? What did that axle come off from?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im one of those guys that wont cut up vintage stuff if its in good shape the rear axle setup bolts right to the drum brake mount holes
the engine has a larger foot print than your standard briggs so I made a adapter so as not to disturb the mount plate holes
the cast iron seat lines up with the original front seat mount
I still have many challenges to overcome to mount things like brakes:confused::confused::confused: but you can be sure it can all be unbolted and returned to original if needed
wooden fenders and floor boards are next then I have to find a place for a battery lights and electric start

KB2ROCKET

I have to admit, when I first saw the whole trike thing, I didn't like it. Now that I see the direction you are taking with it, I have to say it is downright sweet.

I would seriously consider a diff though, it would suck to have that thing bite weird and send you into a faceplant.
good idea Ill have to think about that:thumbsup:

KB2ROCKET

this weekend in between mowing the lawn eating with the family putting up christmas stuff and working on my truck Im going to try and get that rear axle together with pics
its just a 1" kart axle cut short and kart bearings with the weldment mount drilled to match the drum brake holes on the mini's rear axle tabs I am concerned that the 4 small bolts that will hold the rear axle assy. to the minis frame may be to small but I have no intension of drilling the frame out so I am going to get some Mega strength aero space engine bolts trust me you cant even saw these in half

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

Thats is a very good question its americans like you with your forward thinking that keep us on the cutting edge you are to be commended for your outside the box mind set that keep us on top in every aspect of or daily lives
thank you very much
OK are their any more questions?:001_rolleyes: