Minibike Build Off jimh's Bird

Really nice blend of both form and function...

The bike is very pleasing to the eye, and I'll bet it rides like a dream...

...and it's one-of-a-kind...truly unique.

Thanks guys. When I bought the pretty seat, it challenged me to build one worthy of wearing it. (Do I qualify for a discount yet?:biggrin:) I'm getting pretty anxious to ride it. I hope to finish it this week,so I can start the next one. It's going to be a trail mini with a fat rear tire, made from junk. Already started the frame. Gonna need a seat.

Last edited:
Almost done. I got my pegs and brake pedal on. Got the cable hooked to the rear brake. Cable perch mounted at rear of frame. Also trimmed the back of the seat spring. Put the kick stand on. I was able to use the original kick stand and the original mounting holes. Added to the exhaust. I drilled a 5/8 hole through the plate inside the muffler to open it up a little. Made a tailpipe from a handlebar bend. I made a funky rear fender bracket to resemble my funky strut on my forks. Painted and mounted the fender. Finished installing the jackshaft and 10 tooth sprocket. I'm using a #420 chain. All I'm lacking is the front brake cable perch,a brake stay for the brake plate, a short linkage to connect the cable to the pedal, and the throttle. I'm not going to run a clutch cover. I like the exposed drive. It reminds me of a belt drive primary on the Harleys. I'm going to finish up tomorrow and ride it, then clean it up and post my final pictures.Considering what I started with, it's coming along pretty well. I can't wait to try it out.:hack::grind::hammer::weld::biggrin:

Well here it is. It's done. I got to ride around in the field by the shop, between storms. Couldn't get too fast,but it has great take off and pick up power. Drives good and rides great. I did note that I'll have to add an extra return spring to the brake, and a stronger one on the throttle. It's fairly heavy, so it feels really stable.
I don't know what the top speed will be, but it's probably faster than I'll ever run it. Has wheelie power taking off. I might think of something else to do to it, but I'm calling it finished. Considering I started with a rusty hacked frame, and invested about $240 and 100 or so hours,it came out OK.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: