Missing Air Filter Rant

Vaxian

:doah: Why when I buy a used engine does it inevitably NEVER have an air filter on it!!!!!?????!!!!! :confused: :mad2::eek:ut:

Am I the only one experiencing this phenomena? Anyone have a clue why?

I live in the south so I picture some redneck somewhere taking it off and slinging it in the jingweeds proud of himself for eliminating what was clearly a useless piece like the human appendix. :eek:ut::confused::thumbdown:

This is clearly not the case, you are just inviting crud into the carb, come on in, clog my jets, do your impression of sandpaper between my cylinder and piston!!!:grind:

I've gotten a few without mufflers which is almost understandable, if not for the fact they were also missing the damned AIR FILTER!

Spread the word to the masses my Mini Biken Breathren! Air filters are not lawn ornaments! they serve a purpose!

:hang: :death:Your Engine without a filter

:drinkup: :rockon: - Your Engine with a filter

Need I say more?

I will now step down off my soap box and go to bed where I belong. :sleeping:

Now Remember....... Some engines come from snowblowers.:smile:

I know for a fact that most factory small engine carburetors depend on the air cleaner to function properly.:thumbsup:

I see alot of threads about running no air filters or Hi-Flow air filters and not getting good acceleration or idling.

More air into the engine requires more fuel too.:thumbsup:

I lot of times the sellers sell them on ebay to get more money parting the engine out. Its just like the ones doing it to minibike to get more money instead of leaving all together. I also got a couple of engines from repair shops that sold the air cleaners. And yes there are the snowblower motors that the factory thinks its OK to run a engine with out a air filter. I guess In the winter I should just drive my car with out one, must be unnecessary. O and my boat the same way just a spark arester.

Vaxian

Rant on

Have had a few snowblower engines, those if I remember right actually had the filters on them - go figure

This problem has plagued me for many years and is true for dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc. that I find.

I'm starting to think it's a bloody conspiracy! :blink:

Usually the oil in these engines looks like gray water sewage runoff, maybe I'm shopping for used engines in the wrong places? :confused:

Tote Gote bought in Feb. with3hp Briggs is missing the air filter....frustrating. I cannot find an OEM one so I'm fabricating
Dave, you shouldn't have a problem finding one and if you don't care about looks you could go to lowes and get a plastic one with filter that looks similar to stock.

Dave, you shouldn't have a problem finding one and if you don't care about looks you could go to lowes and get a plastic one with filter that looks similar to stock.

Yeah I get 3/4" pipe thread mufflers from Lowes for $4.95 + Tax.
(P/N M-110)

That's cheaper than Ebay !!!!!!:thumbsup:

I agree, why cant you just keep them on?

My other favorite is forcing metric screws in standard holes, or standard screws in metric holes and they get completely stripped out, especially on flywheel shrouds