Missing Fasteners

Demerest

I just purchased a used Coleman CT200-EX with the stock engine. The kid that I bought it from attempted to do some work on it and I bought it as is. The problem is that he lost the :
. Bolt that holds the clutch assembly to the shaft
. Both of the nuts that hold the air cleaner to the engine
. The plastic nut that holds the air cleaner cover on

Is there anywhere online to find replacements, is it even worth it? Or am I just as well off to go to my local hardware store and try to find something there that will work?

The bolt for clutch to the crankshaft is 5/16" x 24. The nuts for the air cleaner are 6 mm but I don't remember if it is a course or fine thread, probably course. The nut for the cover should be the same size, and there is no reason you can't use a steel one there. A little TIP for you. If you have access to a True Value or an Ace hardware store they usually have a much better selection for specific sized nuts and bolts. Maybe it's just where I live
but the selection at my local Lowe's and Home Depot is so poor that I don't even bother to go there for engine and kart fasteners any more.

River Rat Ron

The bolt for clutch to the crankshaft is 5/16" x 24. The nuts for the air cleaner are 6 mm but I don't remember if it is a course or fine thread, probably course. The nut for the cover should be the same size, and there is no reason you can't use a steel one there. A little TIP for you. If you have access to a True Value or an Ace hardware store they usually have a much better selection for specific sized nuts and bolts. Maybe it's just where I live
but the selection at my local Lowe's and Home Depot is so poor that I don't even bother to go there for engine and kart fasteners any more.
Exactly. One other thing, make sure the size, pitch from that bin is correct.
People often just throw nuts and bolts back in the wrong bin

Exactly. One other thing, make sure the size, pitch from that bin is right.
People often just throw nuts and bolts back in the wrong bin
My Ace Hardware has things so you can check nut and bolt sizes. One is a big card with different studs attached to it to check nuts and the other has holes in it to check threads.

Having an SAE and a metric thread pitch gauge is worth it. Anyone that wants to work on their own stuff should have one on hand. They're cheap too. Then you can know exactly what you need when you go to the hardware store. They're cheap on Amazon too.

River Rat Ron

My Ace Hardware has things so you can check nut and bolt sizes. One is a big card with different studs attached to it to check nuts and the other has holes in it to check threads.

Having an SAE and a metric thread pitch gauge is worth it. Anyone that wants to work on their own stuff should have one on hand. They're cheap too. Then you can know exactly what you need when you go to the hardware store. They're cheap on Amazon too.
Yeah same here but let’s say I need 10 of a certain nut. I’ve returned home to find two were fine and the rest course because I didn’t pay attention. Despite coming out of the same box marked course.

Last edited:

SAS289

The clutch bolt for the Hisun is a small metric bolt that I'm afraid to tighten too much. I think it's an M6 (??) about an inch long or so. The 5/16X24 bolt is for all other small block crankshafts.

PatrickCraik

As posted above, Might be a good idea to get a set of SAE, (also known as English) and Metric "pitch" or thread gauges and a cheapo digital caliper. I've used both my pitch gauge sets and calipers countless times. Newer chineesee stuff will most likely be metric but you'll probably eventually end up with an American Made oldie and need the SAE.

Last edited:

PatrickCraik

Google lens a great thing as well, wouldn't help you today but if you have an orphan fastener in the future and don't know what it's called, just take a pic and search.