Missing Lash Cap- Problem or no?

C9H13NO3

I have a 6.5 clone with 18lb valve springs and I notice that the Lash cap is missing on the intake valve. Is this going to be a problem?

edwin

On a related note, why is it that only the exhaust valve has a lash cap?
not 100% sure, but maybe has to do with helping the valve rotate, to avoid carbon buildup or pitting on the valve and seat. just a guess. i know the 5hp briggs has that rotator type retainer on the exhaust side. just a guess

Had me looking for the "other" one when I first took one apart. I read somewhere that it's the heat the exhaust valve is exposed to is why it has a cap.

lash cap safty

larger surface area on a skinny valve stem, that's whats on a hi flow small block chev head with ultra high lift cam, also helps keep the keepers from flying out as easy during valve float.

On these 212cc industrial type engines with there cheese soft valve springs its probably cheap insurance in the event that someone accidentally over revs the motor and floats the valves before the governor can pull it back (broken drive chain or belt for example). If the valves are floated and the piston hits the slow in closing exhaust valve the dogged in retainer can separate from the valve and it will drop. The lash cap and retainer are fitted pieces that need a lot of room to become separated, acts like an additional interlock.
They don't put one on the intake cause it's not in danger of being hit by the piston during valve float.

Last edited:
If you are going to put a lash cap on the intake you need to use a exhaust retainer as the pocket is deeper otherwise you could drop a valve as the lash cap will be pushing on the retainer not the end of the valve.

But the Intake valve at the end of the valve Is longer after the retaIner, so the lash cap doesn't sit all the way in the retainer. So do we grind a lil bit off the IV

makin it fit

But the Intake valve at the end of the valve Is longer after the retaIner, so the lash cap doesn't sit all the way in the retainer. So do we grind a lil bit off the IV
Yyou've answered your own question, you have to grind it, make it like the exhaust. from that other thread you seem to know about adding shims so as to maintain correct installed height.
i looked it over on a head i have here and it looks like it should work.

Llet us know how it go's.

What was the reason again that people do this mod?

Last edited:
Every thread I've read said to reduce side load on the intake side. I'm no stranger to an engine, but I've not heard of side loading