mm80 build

Johnwesley

My wife tried a little mini bike racing and wants a race bike of her own for next season. I have been assigned to build it for her with two priorities, make it handle and make it pretty. You're getting in on the ground floor with this build and I'm open to input. The plan is to make it fit and put some taller rims and tires on it. I ordered a set of forks for it but they were crap with no dampening just a spring without a top cap to enable removing the spring. So I ordered forks from GPS and can tune those. The wheels seem to be lost in the mail and as such, I am working on modifying the frame. thus far I have removed the pegs and crossbar and then put a crossbar between the down tubes to allow the engine to move forward as much as possible. Once the engine is in and set up we can figure out peg placement.

Move those bars back on it. Having them that far forward will negatively effect the handling. Ideally you want them more or less in line with the forks.

I've got mine a bit forward with taller risers on my MM80 and it handles well. I'm 6'3"/225lbs and am comfortable on that bike. Pic is attached.

edit: Added a couple pics of my DB30 since Mark mentioned it. First one is how it currently looks with the GPS leading link front end and 12" GPS mini ape handlebar. The second pic of it is with the stock fork and a different header and shroud than it currently has. Those clear shrouds from GPS don't last. Do not buy one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnwesley

Move those bars back on it. Having them that far forward will negatively effect the handling. Ideally you want them more or less in line with the forks.

I've got mine a bit forward with taller risers on my MM80 and it handles well. I'm 6'3"/225lbs and am comfortable on that bike. Pic is attached.

edit: Added a couple pics of my DB30 since Mark mentioned it. First one is how it currently looks with the GPS leading link front end and 12" GPS mini ape handlebar. The second pic of it is with the stock fork and a different header and shroud than it currently has. Those clear shrouds from GPS don't last. Do not buy one.

The bike is as it was bought, we will probably change the bars and keep it close to the steering stem.

This is funny, I saved a pic of your bike cause she Loved the way it looked. Great build and it’s inspiration for this build.

desert rat

I wish I could help you on the color mix but I can't. It was done by eye and not a repeatable mix. The base is three layer water base small flake brite silver metallic over a two layer primer/ one layer white gray sealer. The color coat was House of color candy, tinting was done by eye. It looks like green water. Color got darker as more coats were applied. Top coat was 5 layers of supper speed clear all shot with a SATA primer gun and a SATA mini gun in a 100 DEG down draft pro spray booth.

Here is the kicker to this paint job. I went color blind after a real bad bike accident when I was in my late 20's. 110 mph-15 ft of wheel lock- on the ground- got up with parts of a helmet on my head and most of my clothes gone. I painted that mini bike at work in my early 50's when I was working in the paint shop doing million dollar prototype/R&D paint jobs. At work we all laughed about the fact there was no way I should be in that shop but I shot paint for 8 years with out the ability to see color.

Copied the reply for you from the privet conversation.

I wish I could help you on the color mix but I can't. It was done by eye and not a repeatable mix. The base is three layer water base small flake brite silver metallic over a two layer primer/ one layer white gray sealer. The color coat was House of color candy, tinting was done by eye. It looks like green water. Color got darker as more coats were applied. Top coat was 5 layers of supper speed clear all shot with a SATA primer gun and a SATA mini gun in a 100 DEG down draft pro spray booth.

Here is the kicker to this paint job. I went color blind after a real bad bike accident when I was in my late 20's. 110 mph-15 ft of wheel lock- on the ground- got up with parts of a helmet on my head and most of my clothes gone. I painted that mini bike at work in my early 50's when I was working in the paint shop doing million dollar prototype/R&D paint jobs. At work we all laughed about the fact there was no way I should be in that shop but I shot paint for 8 years with out the ability to see color.

Copied the reply for you from the privet conversation.
that’s a great story about talent through controversy. It looks similar to a lime gold candy, but then what can you tell from a photo on the Internet. Either way a very cool color.

Got a little work done on the custom build. Front forks, wheel and adjustable motor mount. I’m going to have to modify the heade to make it work on this bike but I think it will work.

F5609713-B463-4308-9108-70FB5D9248FF.jpeg 363F91B3-5272-4F94-8EBD-D3FE5A23C341.jpeg FF2F9498-327F-42A3-B475-391BAC5BA3CC.jpeg EA9E2261-5C29-4EEB-B82D-8928A9878211.jpeg