modding briggs ohv 800 series, help?

i got a briggs 800 series ohv 8hp engine for a minibike, i want to get a little more power out of it, i have a briggs animal carb laying around, would that work for the engine i have? also does anyone make a cam, con rod, crankshaft and flywheel for this motor? and where could i get some heavier valve springs, and what weight should i get? i want this to be fairly low budget. i just want to be able to rev this a little higher without breaking a con rod or having the valves float. any recommendations for what i should do to just get a little more performance would be great. im not going for a open mod drager just a little more power out of this 800 series. also should i get an offset timing key? and how many degrees? :shrug: thanks for all help.

i put the animal carb on today along with the pulse fuel pump. it runs amazing with this carb, is there anything i should be woried about running this carb? and to go along with what i posted earlier, what mods should i do to it so it doesnt blow apart at high revs?

Motra

The 800 series is 8 ft. lbs. of torque, about 6 to 6.5 HP. It's close enough to the Animal that Animal parts would probably work on it and be more reasonably priced. Otherwise there are lots of places that sell high performance parts for it, do a "animal engine" search. ARC makes the billet rods and flywheels and they might be available at the oldminibikes warehouse.

Motra

Those parts would keep your engine happy and your nads where they are now. As for the animal parts working on your engine, that's just an assumption. Check with the parts supplier first and if they don't know you might need to take your engine apart and measure the parts. Also keep in mind that a brand new Animal is about $500.00 so if you're looking to spend anywhere near that you might think about a new engine first. That way you'd get a much better engine; ball bearing crank, cast iron cylinder, better ignition, better valves, better quality, better everything. I think the local option 206 is the same as an Animal but with a recoil starter.

nevermind i found it hah but this 800 series motor i got wont work? i mean its not like im going all out and racing it its just gonna be a mini bike i ride around on at my snowmobile drags

i found a buch of stock animal parts, would stock animal parts hold up better at high rpm than the internals of my 800 series?

yes they would, assuming they fit in that model, which im pretty sure they do.

get an animal cam for sure, as yours is plastic, and stiffer springs would wear it down quick.

well i bought a stock animal cam, rod and valves. i realy dont have the funds to buy the billet arc stuff. the stock animal cam, rod and springs should handle high rpm better than my stock 800 series parts? correct? also again with my flywheel. could i get away with my stock flywheel? is there a cheap alternative? or can i modify it somehow so it will be okay? or maybe would a stock animal flywheel be better? but wouldnt the magnets be wrong? (correct me if im wrong, im just thinking out loud)

thanks
nick

Last edited:

Motra

I would definately do the flywheel, an exploding flywheel is deadly. The stock flywheel is not intended for RPM higher than 3600.

i guess i just dont get why the stock flywheel would vlow apart? i mean its all one solid piece so how would it blow apart? is it just out of balance?

Motra

The cast iron flywheel weighs about 6 lbs. When that mass is spinning there's a tremendous amount of outward force on it and it's only designed to withstand a certain amount of stress. It might be able to handle it, you never know. That "might" is the problem. If it doesn't handle it you could say goodbye to your nads, your leg, your arm, your life, who knows. I wouldn't run high RPM without it.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/h...nor-your-engine-OldMiniBikes-please-read.html

wow, thats a good thread. i get it now lol i just bought a stock billet animal flywheel. i guess its worth spending the money for the peice of mind

okay so motor is running but when i rev it up it backfires and it also backfires when i let off the throttle.. is it to lean? or to rich? there are no vacume leaks. and valve lash is set to .002. what size jet should i have in there? it is a stock animal mikuni carb so it has the stock jet that the animal would use..