Modifying a stock Rupp Roadster 2 TAV bracket to fit on a Predator 212cc.

GustoGuy

Putting a Predator 212cc on Rupp Roadster 2 can be a challenge since some of the stock parts do not fit the Predator 212cc. Exhaust and carburetor intake manifold and TAV bracket are 3 of the biggest problems. Thankfully the exhaust problem has been fixed by Robertson Torque tubes which fits the Predator 212cc perfectly and routes correctly under the seat. As to an intact manifold I cut the stock Predator 212cc Mikuni 22mm manifold in half and built an entirely new one with 45-degree copper elbow and welded it together with JB Weld. The last problem is mounting the Stock Rupp Roadster 2 TAV cover to the front of the engine. Here is how I did it

Attachments

Last edited:

GustoGuy

When I installed the clutch bracket and put in the primary clutch there was not enough clearance between the bracket and primary clutch. Since the engine when running will be at about 250+ degrees F and metal expands when heated up to running temperature. I decided to work on reshaping the fabricated bracket to give more clearance for the primary clutch. I decided to take my stick welder with the 6011 rod for welding thin metal and work on getting a better bead in the front of the clutch bracket with the 16 gauge steel to make sure the bracket is still plenty strong when taking some material off the backside edge of where I welded to the replication Tecumseh Rupp Roadster 2 Front TAV bracket to allow for an 1/8 of an inch or even better clearance. I figure a solid 1/8+ of an inch clearance between the bracket and primary clutch will allow for the engine heating expansion. In doing this build I found that there is lots of fabrication required to fit Replication Rupp parts to a Predator 212cc engine. I will clean up the beads with my flap grinder and post the finished product. I bet somebody could make this piece and people who are interested in resto-mod Rupps with Honda clones would be interested in this part.

Attachments

Last edited:
I would be concerned with the JB weld handling the vibrations? Although I don't have a Rupp ,I do have a similar FOX Scrambler with the angled motor plate...I fabbed an intake using a cast steel street 90 degree 1 inch fitting and a Honda horizontal intake tube to mount the Chikuni carb...
100_6928.JPG

GustoGuy

I would be concerned with the JB weld handling the vibrations? Although I don't have a Rupp ,I do have a similar FOX Scrambler with the angled motor plate...I fabbed an intake using a cast steel street 90 degree 1 inch fitting and a Honda horizontal intake tube to mount the Chikuni carb...
View attachment 265608
Nice job locating the Mikuni over the recoil of the engine. I used copper pipe to sleeve the stock Mikuni intake manifold and it was really tight in fitting togather. JB weld is one of the better epoxy glues out there and I seen a test on YouTube were it outperformed nearly all epoxies. Also I sleeved it fully with copper pipe and roughed it up with 80 grit sand paper so the JB weld is sandwiched between the Mukuni intake manifold and the copper 45 degrees elbow. It seems really strong however there is metal all the way through and no areas are only JB weld

Sounds like a lot of work. I used a couple of “L” brackets when I put the cover on my Predator on my Roadster and it works fine.