Mods before or after engine break in?

Hello, I just bought a Coleman ct200u. I'm planning on buying a Tillotson 212 Hemi to replace the base engine on the bike. I was wondering If I could do the stage one mods to the Tillotson(Governor Removal, Header, Air Intake) before the break in period. I am also going to install the Juggernaut drive from Gopowersports.

Harquebus

If you do the mods before running the engine, you lose the baseline of its performance (starting at zero for example) and the basis for comparison of the mods you do. You know, a before and after contrast.

As far as any mechanical concerns, I don't think it makes much difference. Not sure how the quality control goes on those engines, but a look-see inside the crankcase for machining detritus (excess metal shavings from the assembly line) is a concern for other clones so you could do it when you delete the governor (I didn't think Tillotsons had governors).

toomanytoys

(I didn't think Tillotsons had governors).
Tillotson has the same governor set up. Just out of the box they are set around 5000 to 6000rpm instead of 3600.

Mine hits 5800 out of the box.

To the op instead of the tillotson try the ducar.

https://www.childishconcepts.com/online-store/Dukar-212-stock-p299495102

Cheaper and some argue better. I have one sitting on my bench waiting to go in something.

Juggernaut, and stage 1 tillotson you'll have a tough ct200. Mine is a freaking beast with that setup.

SAS289

Tillotson has the same governor set up. Just out of the box they are set around 5000 to 6000rpm instead of 3600.

Mine hits 5800 out of the box.

To the op instead of the tillotson try the ducar.

https://www.childishconcepts.com/online-store/Dukar-212-stock-p299495102

Cheaper and some argue better. I have one sitting on my bench waiting to go in something.

Juggernaut, and stage 1 tillotson you'll have a tough ct200. Mine is a freaking beast with that setup.
With the Juggernaut and stock gearing how much more RPM do you think he would get with governor removal? Should the op add a billet rod while the engine is open for governor removal?

With the Juggernaut and stock gearing how much more RPM do you think he would get with governor removal? Should the op add a billet rod while the engine is open for governor removal?
I plan on doing a stage 2 upgrade in the future, as of right now time and money is the issue. I'm already spending $600 for a Tillotson, Jugg-A-Verter, and a stage 1 kit. I know the oiling fin on the stock rods like to break at high rpms, but I'd figured that it'll be fine until the stage 2, I'm just making a street bike, cruising is all I'm going to be doing for right now. My ultimate goal is to get the bike to do 65mph so I can cruise comfortably at 50~55mph.

SAS289

I plan on doing a stage 2 upgrade in the future, as of right now time and money is the issue. I'm already spending $600 for a Tillotson, Jugg-A-Verter, and a stage 1 kit. I know the oiling fin on the stock rods like to break at high rpms, but I'd figured that it'll be fine until the stage 2, I'm just making a street bike, cruising is all I'm going to be doing for right now. My ultimate goal is to get the bike to do 65mph so I can cruise comfortably at 50~55mph.
OK. Wow. So you already know what you want to do with it. That's good.

What are your plans for gearing?

toomanytoys

I'm 170lbs. Running 10/50 19" 5800 rpm. It'll hit 60 if I hang in it according to GPS speedometer. I can nail it front a dead stop and ride a wheelie. Climbs hills. Never seems to be without power for what I want.

I thought about putting the 60 tooth on the rear but I feel like it's gonna be way too front end happy.

SAS289

I'm not sure, I'm a bigger guy, I'm 5'9" and 280lbs, what would be good gearing for a guy my size?
I asked because I thought you may have had an idea. You may want to run it with stock (10/50 tooth) gearing until your engine is complete. Then fine tune from there if needed. With the Juggernaut you may be happy with it and not need a gearing change.

I run a 9/60 tooth which is better for slower speed riding with a near stock engine on my 200U.