Montesa Cota 25c?

Steve73

Today I picked up, I think is a Montesa Cota 25c mini bike? Not a lot to go on other than from matching Google Image searches. Forum search didn't bring up anything on this tiny bike. There's gotta be somebody that is familiar with what I have. It seems parts are super pricey online. Not sure if it's worth it or bag it.. seems to have been made in Spain and not a lot sent to the states? I think this is from 1976?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Steve73

Ok today finally found out that I have a cota 25c. I contacted someone that specializes in these bikes and confirmation was made. Apparently they came in 2 versions with 1 engine that had centrifugal clutch and the other had a gear box. Parts are extremely expensive. And hard to come by. I might just stick whatever I can to get this little bike rolling at least? Thanks for looking.. this potential winter project might just be put to the side for now maybe...

Thanks for looking

Steve.

Hope you can find the right tank/ seat looks like a really cool project.
I always seam to get 99.99999% done looks awesome and gorgeous and then the carb pisses gas all over the place or just doesn't run right then I start throwing $$$$$$ on it like its fairy dust and my dream turns ugly.

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

Montesa Cota....now there's a name you just don't hear every day....anymore...:laugh:

I love trials bikes.... I only really gained understanding of what they did as an adult.

...which leads to another one of those 'if I'd have only known' type scenarios you have many of when you are blessed with getting a little bit older...here's what I mean...

As a teenager I had a friend who had a mid '70's Ossa 250 trials bike...like I said I didn't know what trials riding was then...but being really aware of any motorized two wheeler, since I was 10 or so, I'd heard the names Ossa, and Montesa Cota...many times...those names just had a mystique to them you know...this was probably late '78...and my friend offers to sell me the Ossa 250 for $200.

I like the sound of that, I said. First, let me test ride it, because I'd never ridden a trials bike before...

After riding it, I told my friend ..."I don't want to buy it...it wheelies too easy"...:anon.sml:...:doah:...:laugh:

Steve, good luck on bringing your's back into shape...:thumbsup:

I hope you can restore it.
This one may take yrs to do
Could get costly as well
Do you what's left of the original motor?

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

Steve73

Sadly what you see in the picture is what I have. It was found at a garage sale. Everything that’s missing is very costly to get and most parts are located in Italy. I saw a complete bike selling for like $3500 or something like that on eBay. The seat and gas. Tank is all one piece with the seat pad bolted to that. Engine is hard to get as well..

The throttle is still hooked up to the carburetor and works. Probably sell this one for easier projects.

Last edited:
Both the Montesa Cota 25cc, 50cc and the Bultaco 50cc Chispa, did not use their own in-house engine design for these small trials bikes. The engines were built by MotoTrans, a small Spanish company that produced engines under Ducati license and is no longer in business.

As Steve mentioned; Engine parts, original bodywork and the correct bits and pieces for this bike are unfortunately, extremely hard to come by.

Sadly what you see in the picture is what I have. It was found at a garage sale. Everything that’s missing is very costly to get and most parts are located in Italy. I saw a complete bike selling for like $3500 or something like that on eBay. The seat and gas. Tank is all one piece with the seat pad bolted to that. Engine is hard to get as well..

The throttle is still hooked up to the carburetor and works. Probably sell this one for easier projects.

If only a Montesa enthusiast in say, Southeastern New Mexico would take it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Steve73

brewtus

im glad you are the proud owner of the little cota 25 i had laying around! now do us all a favor and keep us posted on this little gem of a project!

steve..

Both the Montesa Cota 25cc, 50cc and the Bultaco 50cc Chispa, did not use their own in-house engine design for these small trials bikes. The engines were built by MotoTrans, a small Spanish company that produced engines under Ducati license and is no longer in business.

As Steve mentioned; Engine parts, original bodywork and the correct bits and pieces for this bike are unfortunately, extremely hard to come by.

I love the Montesas. I had a Montesa LaCrosse back in the day. I rode until it finally vibrated itself to death but I had some fine times. I was told that the vintage spanish bikes were getting scooped up and sent back to the home country, in particular, Montesas. There were 2 Bultaco Pursang 250s' and 2 La Crosses in the group I rode with and on the flat out even with only 4 speeds the Montesas could pull the Pursangs.

Handlebar Grips, fork gaiters, mudguards, seat cover and gasket set are all that are available in UK. Fortunately, I managed to pick up a largely complete and original 1971 25c - even chrome is pretty good, with exception of handlebars. Most of the work has centred around paintwork and polishing of alloy and chrome work. Got it running, but primary chain has a couple of damaged rollers and drain plug needs a helicoil. Made new brake and clutch cables from some Bultaco spares - throttle cable original - decompressor cable missing. Had to make new cover for twistgrip linkage, and a new air filter housing. Bike looks cosmetically pretty good - could do a concours restoration, but I want to retain its originality. Has original Pirelli front tyre, but rear is a Bridgestone MT 43 lookalike. Original front mudguard has dealers sticker - Andy Lee Motorcycles ,Mill Road, Cambridge ( England!) Hopefully be finished soon!