Montgomery Ward T555 Terrain Cycle

mybiz

Off road? I didn't know there was a on road. Where I'm moving to and will be doing most of my playing. Its kind of like mini mini hills. Lots of good riding area on my property. And a few acres of flat land and about 7 acres of small rolling hills. Got lots of play area. But there is also a lot of :censure::censure: locus trees and they have 4"&5" thorns from the ground up. I've got close to 125 or so trees to cut down:doah:I will be ridding flat track for quite some time. I picked up these tires and rims for my T555 there a wee bit tall but I only give $50 for them:smile: Should have bought all 4:doah:

To bad you didn't live closer, I like to burn Locus, hell I will even burn the thorns :wink: Honey locus, black locus you name it, I burn it. My favorite is hedge, burns hot and I use a lot less wood. I have a mixed bag, Hack berry, Walnut, Hedge, White Oak, Red Oak, Black locus and Honey Locus..........Atleast it all hard wood...........

mybiz

off T-555

To bad you didn't live closer, I like to burn Locus, hell I will even burn the thorns :wink: Honey locus, black locus you name it, I burn it. My favorite is hedge, burns hot and I use a lot less wood. I have a mixed bag, Hack berry, Walnut, Hedge, White Oak, Red Oak, Black locus and Honey Locus..........Atleast it all hard wood...........
Oh but i do like burning stinky locus. Its just the thorns i can live without. I had 4 locus in my last front yard. And the tree introduced its self to me when I went to lean back on it and sh stuck a thorn in one of my butt cheeks:censure::censure::censure: Man it got me good and as you know if you get thorned by one they take forever to heal. And hedge and ash is my two favorites wood to burn. Not a lot of ashes to clean out. Why people like walnut I'll never know besides the smell. I got lazy this year I'm having a guy cut it for me:blink: No one wants to hire him because He is in the army and just got back from the sand pile 3 months ago. And now he is just waiting on orders to go back. He said nobody will hire him because they know he's got to go when they call him. So in a way this is one way I'm supporting our Troops:thumbsup:

Ok been a few days but here are some scans of the original owners/parts manual for all three Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycles. This might help others identify and or give insight into these obscure trikes. This stuff is probably pretty rare. To some these pictures might be worth a thousand words. Be ready to scroll!

Here is the T555 cycle, most of the book is the same except the parts page.

Well that sure is nice to see all the information. Still missing is the wards trike like mine and Logshak owns. These do not have a body and have a small front wheel but comes with front and rear suspension and do not have the take apart feature in the main frame tube. Logshak has Montgomery Ward on the front end and is painted yellow. These came with a single cylinder Kohler two stroke engine and a high mount fuel tank up in the roll cage area.
This also has a curved saddle that supports the expansion chamber or muffler. Sure would be nice to find literature on this one also.
But we have the machines and that's the best part. Steve :scooter:

Went back to the internet last night and found for sale on E-Bay a 16 page owners manual for the Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycle model # ZCQ57091A that is what I have been looking for for 2 1/2 years. And it was a Buy it now sale. When it arrives I will post up the pages for everyone to enjoy. Wahooo Wahooo it's just like Christmas.
Steve :scooter:

I will post pics of mine that I had here in a bit.. Your bike says Monkey Wards, but as everyone knows.. Department stores like that will buy from companies THEN put their name on it for market. These particular bikes were built in Owosso Michigan and was called "Owosso Sand Trike" Mine was originally wild gold 70's HUGE metal flake paint job and had a black and chartreuse green seat.. EXACT SAME bike right to the bolts though... Owosso Sand Trike... That's a nice machine you have there... The ONE weak link you want to avoid HARDCORE use on is that differential system. A buddy of mine has one of these bikes sunk into the ground in Charlotte Michigan.. It was one THEY built then blew up 20 years ago. The diffs are good for riding around and some beating but MAN don't EVER try doing burn out after burn out or get one tire going 900 miles per hour in the air then let it connect the dirt when you are not moving or you CAN explode the differentials.. That's what happened to Ricks bike.. ON A POSITIVE NOTE though... AS with ANYthing like this... Owosso does not BUILD the diffs, so you can find them other places.. WICH IS NICE being parts are hard to find.... I think Tecumseh built the rear end.. They have their own weird bolt pattern on the sprocket.. I looked FOR EVER for a good sprocket for mine... Turns out I found TWO WHOLE COMPLETE rear ends in GREAT shape in the rear engine real small John Deere Riding mowers... ^ horse Tecumseh vert shaft going 7 miles per hour equals LOW WEAR... :thumbsup: Buy a junk John Deere 60 rider for parts :thumbsup:

The Restore Kid : Well one thing I would have to see if your posting about who made the Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycle. Your saying one thing and the 5 page wright up in 3wheelerworld said that they were made by Central States Tool & Die from Omaha, Nebraska . Where you came up with the Owosso being the builder I don't know. Show me a picture of an Owosso Sand trike in a Brochure.
As for me they will remain a trike built by Central States Tool & Die until proven different.

It could be.. I know that was who was putting them together out here... Er that is what the aluminum ID tag on the frame said.. I got to looking around and I guess I never s kept any pics of that one... THERE SHOULD be one but it got deleted... It happens, I go through a lot of bikes.. I had a bunch I took of the bike for selling it on Evilbay.. I can write the guy up who bought it and and see if he will send some pics. It had an ID tag on the frame that had all of the info on it... I will get on Evilbay and have guy send me some pics if he still has it... I posted a pic of another one I had, same bike, but that one said Sears on it. Ya know the funniest thing of that whole story was, I sold it LOCAL PICKUP on Ebay, I'm in Michigan, It sold for 75 bucks BUT the guy came from Pennsylvania to get it.. :doah: WOW did he ever want it...

I have seen a few Owosso sand trikes throughout the years here locally, sold by local cycle shops in the 70's. I remember trying to get my dad to buy one from Rocky's cycle in Flint, when I was a wee lad, sitting on the fiberglass seat, cranking on the throttle, with my legs just long enough to reach the edges of the footpegs. I've seen them in various trim levels, some with, some without suspension. Being local, they were common, and who would have thought 30 years ago, or even 10 years ago to take pictures of bikes you look at for sale in rummages, or for sale on the side of the road. Oh well.

mybiz

Went back to the internet last night and found for sale on E-Bay a 16 page owners manual for the Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycle model # ZCQ57091A that is what I have been looking for for 2 1/2 years. And it was a Buy it now sale. When it arrives I will post up the pages for everyone to enjoy. Wahooo Wahooo it's just like Christmas.
Steve is these the manuals you found? I did find some reprints awhile back. But i see these are originals not copies. And there is 1 day and 5 hours left to grab one.:biggrin:

MONTGOMERY WARD MIDI THREE 3 WHEELER PART OWNERS MANUAL (400089645909)
MONTGOMERY WARD TERRAIN CYCLE 3 WHEELER OWNERS MANUAL (170415610952)
MONTGOMERY WARD TERRAIN CYCLE 3 WHEELER OWNERS MANUAL (400089648119)
Buy now $24.91 shipping $4.50

It's on the way

Steve is these the manuals you found? I did find some reprints awhile back. But i see these are originals not copies. And there is 1 day and 5 hours left to grab one.:biggrin:

MONTGOMERY WARD MIDI THREE 3 WHEELER PART OWNERS MANUAL (400089645909)
MONTGOMERY WARD TERRAIN CYCLE 3 WHEELER OWNERS MANUAL (170415610952)
MONTGOMERY WARD TERRAIN CYCLE 3 WHEELER OWNERS MANUAL (400089648119)
Buy now $24.91 shipping $4.50
The one I got was from the same seller but mine is for the full suspension type like mine. I hope it is as nice as the others. About the seat you have should work good. My machine did not have a seat and I have about 4 of the Kart seats all different sizes and one has seat pads that attach with Velcro.
But I think I will see if KBs8ball :punk: can make me one like the factory so that it will fit different size riders.

mybiz

The only reason I got the kart seat was to keep me from sliding of.:biggrin: Eventually I'll replace it with an original seat. The one that came with it when I traded for it was a 2-seater. And very ruff.

The only reason I got the kart seat was to keep me from sliding of.:biggrin: Eventually I'll replace it with an original seat. The one that came with it when I traded for it was a 2-seater. And very ruff.

Is it just me, or is the floor pan only 2 inches off the ground:doah:

mybiz

Not quite with the flat tires and it siting on top of a clump of grass. It looks low but the floor pan is coming off any how they also had the box mounted above the motor. and it was heavy. With all that extra weight and two riders. I know why i got it without a motor. They probably burnt of blew it up from working its self to death. And the new tires and rims I got for it i'm afraid there going to be to tall. But $50 I couldn't turn them down.

Ratbike

Any of you know where I can get a differential axle for a T-555? Northern tools no longer has them on their website....:hammer:

mybiz

Just went through the same subject with swamperjim Except his is a snow cat I think. You might look at his thread. lots of opinions on axles