Montgomery Ward T555 Terrain Cycle

Bulldog Trike

Here's another version of a T 555. I bought it from a local guy but he didn't know too much about it. It had the original 8hp Briggs but unfortunately it had thrown the rod through the case.
I found another old 8hp Briggs and she's up and running again.
It's built very well. I live in Omaha so I'm sure it was made by Central States Tool and Die.
There can't be too many of these badboys around anymore.
I'd like to talk to anyone who might have any more info on this particular model.
It has "BULLDOG" decals on the front plate and chain guard. Body was originally blue in color.
I plan to strip the body back to the original color. I'll post new pictures when I'm done.
Thanks for the info fellas. You guys sure know your shtuff when it comes to these old trikes.

I got one of those last summer.

Cant decide on whether to "re-power it" or restore factory.
I have a golf cart that needs major repairs. Motor is good though. thinking of making the T-555 a "Green Machine"

Also, mine has had some mods done already (somebody broke the frame where the flanges bolt together and welded it (strong but poor looking). I was considering building a new "front end.

Maybe make it a quad.

I think though I will either go with electric drive, or maybe an 8 or 12 HP Briggs (electric start would be cool).

Also want to put a flotation tire on the front. I'd need to make a new triple tree to do that, but that doesn't look to difficult to do. Either that or get one from a 3-Wheeler Honda or something (got an extra 185s frame and some tires)

Last edited:

Ratbike

Here's another version of a T 555. I bought it from a local guy but he didn't know too much about it. It had the original 8hp Briggs but unfortunately it had thrown the rod through the case.
It's built very well. I live in Omaha so I'm sure it was made by Central States Tool and Die.
I'd like to talk to anyone who might have any more info on this particular model.
It has "BULLDOG" decals on the front plate and chain guard. Body was originally blue in color.
I plan to strip the body back to the original color. I'll post new pictures when I'm done.
Thanks for the info fellas. You guys sure know your shtuff when it comes to these old trikes.
Does that have the suspension springs in the center where it bolts together? One of mine looks very close to that with the BIG front tire...

no suspension...just the simple flange connection in the center. No rollbar either. Everything appears to be original with no modifications. There seems to be many variations of the T555 but this is the only one I've seen with the big front tire and the fiberglass body.

mybiz

Wide front end

no suspension...just the simple flange connection in the center. No rollbar either. Everything appears to be original with no modifications. There seems to be many variations of the T555 but this is the only one I've seen with the big front tire and the fiberglass body.
Sorry moved all my photos around and I see nothing but little boxes with X's now. I have the wide front end. Also got some springs to put in the middle of the frame to cushion the ride.:evil_laughter:

mybiz

Ahh ha I have independent turning brakes to assist me in turning my T555. Now my Dune cycle had single disc brake. The only way to make a sharp turn on it was to use all 340cc's. Like I said it was built for flat tracking.:wink:

I have the independent brakes to... But the smaller tire works better in the snow. I have the ski for the front but it is best for the frozen pond...lol

Bulldog is it a Wards product or not ?

The original magazine article from MINI BIKE TEST on the Wards T555 over in Three Wheeler World stated when asked about a body they said one was in the future works. And it looks like this did happen. Same as the unit that I have with the full front and rear suspension and a Kohler Snowmobile engine. It looks to me that there were about 5 or 6 models under the Montgomery Wards name and then some others with the Buldog name from Missouri (The Show me State ) And they did show a name plate sticker.
So how that the Central States Tool & Die came to sell parts or sold out the tooling to them is still history.
Steve

That's what has me dumbfounded. They seem to be one in the same. Maybe one day, someone will pop in here that used to work there and explain it all. Then again, maybe we will never get the answerers we seek. I searched the net and bulldog mfg never came up. So as of now I am at a loss, if it smells like chicken and tastes like chicken, is it really chicken????

I would think that it is a Comet 20 series. in the 20 series that is a symmetrical system that means the movable face of each half have to opposite each other.
Steve :scooter:

Tips and Info?

Hey everyone,
I've read through this thread and saw that only a few things were known about this model. I was wondering if the owners of this model, ZCQ-57091A, would have any tips for increasing H.P., what kind of clutch packs would be advisable to use, and any other general ideas. Perhaps a wiring diagram? I was going to do a complete restoration, and maybe in the near future, make it road-legal. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jake