Montgomery Ward

I recently picked up a Montgomery Ward the other day, I only got the frame, and I was wandering where parts for this mini bike would be available, any suggestions? 1F223DA8-3938-4E78-86BF-0567CD0AD947.jpeg 80603531-023B-45BA-9536-A48114B8D361.jpeg

Hey SpeckHead...welcome to the OldMiniBikes...!

All of the parts you want are available. For all the hardware, wheels tires, throttle, etc....try on line at Old Mini Bikes warehouse .com. Great folks, lot's of parts, and good prices.

Or email Eric at Help@OldMiniBikes.com.

For a seat, contact member Manchester 1. @manchester1

Keep us posted of your progress, and have fun.

Hey SpeckHead...welcome to the OldMiniBikes...!

All of the parts you want are available. For all the hardware, wheels tires, throttle, etc....try on line at Old Mini Bikes warehouse .com. Great folks, lot's of parts, and good prices.

Or email Eric at Help@OldMiniBikes.com.

For a seat, contact member Manchester 1. @manchester1

Keep us posted of your progress, and have fun.
Thanks Robert!, would the azuza mini bike kit fit on my Montgomery Ward?

cfh

To be honest, i would wait before trying to put this together. Chances are good you'll spend a crap load more money trying to re-construct this frame, then you would be to just buy another 'roller' style frame (a frame with basically everything except a motor). you need *everything* for this frame (and then some, since the forks are bent). As you acquire more mini bikes stuff (and go to shows, etc), the parts for this project will probably present themselves, and possibly at good prices. But if you go out looking for this stuff, you'll spend a lot money, and probably will never recover those funds if you sell the bike. Just something to think about (been there, done that...)

tomc

OK, I will respond again, Speckhead, you will find a lot of different opinions on here when you ask for suggestions as you just did. There will be naysayers that will have you thinking you will spend several hundred dollars to make a rideable bike from what now have. Others will give a more optimistic opinion. Personally, I think you can, by shopping around local flea markets and other sources, do better than that. At least I usually can. Remember, be resourceful and keep in mind parts for a mini-bike don't have to come from another mini-bike. I just got, free, four new wheels and tires off of heavy duty hand trucks like the ones sold at Harbor Freight because the new hand trucks were damaged beyond repair during shipping. They will work great on mini-bikes or go-carts. This time of year, garden tillers in various states of repair, and disrepair pop up for sale every day. 90% of them have horizontal shaft engines that will work on a mini-bike. In my opinion, better than Chinese junk as long as you know how to work on it.
But...remember opinions are like armpits, everybody's got 'em and most of 'em stink.

It totally depends upon your level of skill, and/or your budget. You asked about the Azusa kit, and the answer is yes, you can get that frame rolling with one. The 5" Azusa kit is $297, and you still need and engine and a clutch.

The level of success depends upon your skill level as a basic mechanic and light fabricator. If you can't do those things, you have to pay someone else to do them. Most of it is common sense, and that puts about half of humanity into the realm of having to buy rollers and slap on running used utility engines, or the readily available OHV engines from Harbor Freight etc. o_O

This particular frame is not worth "correctly" restoring from a completely financial, or "investment" standpoint. You need to repair the forks. This is easily accomplished with a press, or other creative methods. That fork stiffener welded between the legs is not original and should be removed prior to bending.

You should have stated in your original post what your intent with a mini bike was, and what your budget is. But yes, it is very "doable" as far as I am concerned, and I've restored a few of them. These make fun projects for young, or old on a budget, and depending upon your goals, this would be a very worthwhile project. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, and by all means, call OldMiniBikes Warehouse Help line if you are serious. Eric knows his stuff and will direct you with solid advice.

OK, I will respond again, Speckhead, you will find a lot of different opinions on here when you ask for suggestions as you just did. There will be naysayers that will have you thinking you will spend several hundred dollars to make a rideable bike from what now have. Others will give a more optimistic opinion. Personally, I think you can, by shopping around local flea markets and other sources, do better than that. At least I usually can. Remember, be resourceful and keep in mind parts for a mini-bike don't have to come from another mini-bike. I just got, free, four new wheels and tires off of heavy duty hand trucks like the ones sold at Harbor Freight because the new hand trucks were damaged beyond repair during shipping. They will work great on mini-bikes or go-carts. This time of year, garden tillers in various states of repair, and disrepair pop up for sale every day. 90% of them have horizontal shaft engines that will work on a mini-bike. In my opinion, better than Chinese junk as long as you know how to work on it.
But...remember opinions are like armpits, everybody's got 'em and most of 'em stink.
Thanks tom! Sounds like a great idea, with your great problem solving skills, you make this easy!

It totally depends upon your level of skill, and/or your budget. You asked about the Azusa kit, and the answer is yes, you can get that frame rolling with one. The 5" Azusa kit is $297, and you still need and engine and a clutch.

The level of success depends upon your skill level as a basic mechanic and light fabricator. If you can't do those things, you have to pay someone else to do them. Most of it is common sense, and that puts about half of humanity into the realm of having to buy rollers and slap on running used utility engines, or the readily available OHV engines from Harbor Freight etc. o_O

This particular frame is not worth "correctly" restoring from a completely financial, or "investment" standpoint. You need to repair the forks. This is easily accomplished with a press, or other creative methods. That fork stiffener welded between the legs is not original and should be removed prior to bending.

You should have stated in your original post what your intent with a mini bike was, and what your budget is. But yes, it is very "doable" as far as I am concerned, and I've restored a few of them. These make fun projects for young, or old on a budget, and depending upon your goals, this would be a very worthwhile project. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, and by all means, call OldMiniBikes Warehouse Help line if you are serious. Eric knows his stuff and will direct you with solid advice.
Thanks Dave, I will put the forks through the press

I guess you could say Im on a budget, but im trying to get it to run good enough and paint matched to my boat, if I can, I may do the azuza 5’ or 6’ kit, Then buy engine and clutch

cfh

As Tom said, that’s probably not really a great idea. It’s better if you just be patient and watch eBay or go to shows. Or just talk to people and look on craigslist. If you buy that is Asuza kit, you’re gonna be in pretty deep on this thing. Plus you have to buy a motor and a clutch assembly. I would just be patient. If you’re looking, these things will often come, and at a fair price. Opposed to just going to one of the Minibike superstores and filling your shopping cart. I mean you can do that too, but you’ll end up spending a lot of money. Some people don’t care, but I’m not one of those people

As Tom said, that’s probably not really a great idea. It’s better if you just be patient and watch eBay or go to shows. Or just talk to people and look on craigslist. If you buy that is Asuza kit, you’re gonna be in pretty deep on this thing. Plus you have to buy a motor and a clutch assembly. I would just be patient. If you’re looking, these things will often come, and at a fair price. Opposed to just going to one of the Minibike superstores and filling your shopping cart. I mean you can do that too, but you’ll end up spending a lot of money. Some people don’t care, but I’m not one of those people
Ok, thanks!

cfh

you’ll get it figured out. I remember hadn’t touched a Minibike in 40 years and then when I found one, I was all gung ho. I went to one of the local Minibike superstores, bought lots of stuff, put it all together. I made it work but it was a lot more money. And my lack of knowledge on what should be and shouldn’t be used on the bike, Hindered the build

I also figured out what I like. That took some time. Nobody can tell you what you like. For me, I like stuff with full suspension. And to that point, 10 inch wheel bikes. That’s because I’m old. Without suspension it just hurts to ride. So I just avoid that stuff. But obviously your situation is going to be completely different, and what you like and don’t like

I recently picked up a Montgomery Ward the other day, I only got the frame, and I was wandering where parts for this mini bike would be available, any suggestions?
My recent Fimco project started out similar to your Wards bike. It was little more than a bare frame with a bent fork. I bought the derelict bike at a moving sale for $35. I purchased a Predator motor at HF for appx $95, and probably dropped another $400 or so at OldMiniBikes Warehouse for wheels/tires/chain/clutch/controls/seat/fenders, etc. A trip to the sand blaster and some cans of spray paint used up at at least another $85. Then came the stage II engine kit and billet flywheel for about $240. With my own labor and some free assist from a machinist friend I wound up with a good looking and reliable bike that's a race winner. I could undoubtedly have followed a less expensive path, but this was a pretty easy route to a satisfying result.

My two cents: My early efforts at building bikes were very rudimentary and when I sold them, I made a couple bucks to pour into the next one. My more recent bikes have become more challenging (by choice) and thus cost more money that I know I won't get back if and when I sell. So, as I tell my law students--it all depends. We have members who are so serious they seek the correct bolts for a perfect restoration and then we have just as serious guys and gals into heavily modified bikes. My advice is dip your toe in the water and see how it feels: this can be a very addictive hobby. If you have the resources, you can do just about anything you want from simple to complex. I choose the latter because I get lost in the details and thus have a blast in my own little mini bike world.