Montgomery Wards Information

Hi I am new to the site and would like to find some information on a Montgomery Wards Mini-Bike. I purchased the mini at a swap meet with some parts missing if I could get some pictures as to how the rear swing arm attaches to the main frame any help would be appreciated. Thanks for now SCM

Last edited:
Welcome! If you could post a pic of your bike it might help since there were several kinds and styles. You can also look in the photos section. Look for gilson

Welcome

You should have two bolt on plates on the lower rear section of your frame. These
plates hold the jackshaft bearings & swing arm bushings.
I found a place in Connecticut that sells the correct flanged bronze bushings
if yours are gone or broken.
Post a pic and you'll get lots of help here!
mike

EDIT: Yours isn't a Ward Gilson bike -- Nevermind!

Here's a thread where someone else had rigid frame version. Some good info in there

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/47647-wards-minibike-2.html
That's the wrong Wards bike as well. The thread you linked to is a CESTAD built Wards bike. SCM's is a General Appliance built bike.

SCM, your swing arm mounts using a jack shaft through bearings mounted in the swing arm and the frame mount brackets.

General Appliance built bikes called Trail Horse, Trail Blazer, Whisper Jet, GA General and they also made bikes sold through Montgomery Wards. Here is a close up of how the bearings and jack shaft connect the swing arm to the frame.

capguncowboy

That's the wrong Wards bike as well. The thread you linked to is a CESTAD built Wards bike. SCM's is a General Appliance built bike.

SCM, your swing arm mounts using a jack shaft through bearings mounted in the swing arm and the frame mount brackets.
I appreciate your correction! I'm still learning, but I try!

General Appliance built bikes called Trail Horse, Trail Blazer, Whisper Jet, GA General and they also made bikes sold through Montgomery Wards. Here is a close up of how the bearings and jack shaft connect the swing arm to the frame.

If I understand correctly the bearing presses into the plates? 1 bearing in the plate and one bearing in the swing arm? total 4 bearings. The gears what size are they-# of teeth. Thanks SCM