Montgomery Wards ZCQ-13995B / CESTAD Find

Thought I'd start a thread on the trike I got recently.

Although it resembles the "T555" MW trike (ZCQ-13395A) it is not!

This one has a Tecumseh 8HP (HM80) with lighting coil. It appears to have been very well taken care of.
The front fender is undamaged & has the original mudflap. The MW model/serial number tag is
in excellent shape. The tires appear to be original to the period at least. 21x12-8s.
It is a Comet clutch/torque converter set up chained to a one inch axle equipped with a differential.
The original stickers for the kill switch and "warnings" are still affixed. It had the
original tail light still bolted to the back end.
It's BIG! 7'6" long and 48" wide. The seat is nice except for the lone mouse hole! I'll have it
redone with a bit more padding.

- I could use some help in finding a manual for this specific model. The T555 manual I have
shows considerable differences; incl. a Briggs engine & different chain tensioning set up.

- The only missing piece is the headlight bezel. Was this piece common to any other machines?
There are no stampings on it to ID it….
I have a replacement bulb already in hand.

- Wondering what color it was from MW back in the day? Looks like
a dark blue under the rattle can black that's on it now….

It has band brakes for both left and right rear wheels. Thinking of converting to disks since I intend to use it
this winter to ride in the snow out here in the sticks where I live!
I found about a half bushel of mice nestings packed into the engine housing! After a thorough cleaning, replacement
of the coil, points, condenser, and a quick carb cleaning….she fired right up and ran great & engaged the clutch and torque
converter.

So, before I tear it apart I thought I'd post these pics of it just as I found it.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 1 copy.JPG photo 2 copy.JPG photo 3 copy.JPG photo 4 copy.JPG

View attachment wards 2.jpg

Our trikes are very similar, but mine is the first one in the attached MW advertisement.

It has the non-removable, straight frame & the Tecumseh 8hp..
Really like the glass body on yours! Wish I had one!
Got three new tires coming in for it. Cleaning up the sprockets, axles, etc now.
Will put all new bearings and a new idler sprocket.

I was wondering if anyone could I.D. the headlight on this new trike of mine??
(see above pics)
The rim is missing and there is no name on it... I thought maybe it was a piece that
was used on other bikes/trikes of the day and I could have some idea of what to start looking for.
The case has polished up nicely so I'd like to use this original piece if possible
Thanks!

Almost there ... my "snow machine" for this winter!

Well, this has been fun!
As you can see we now have a "runner"! No chassis repairs or welding
was required. The trike was in great original condition.
However, cleaning, painting, bearing replacements, engine re-furb, control cable fabrication,
& the usual Tecumseh throttle linkage blues all had to be dealt with!
The HM80 engine is original. It runs fine after ignition rebuild, timing, carb replacement, etc.
The little wiring harness you see attached to the rear of the trike is the original lighting/kill switch
wiring; just not hooked up.
I have another low hour HM80 that is being fitted with a Kei-Hin 26mm carb, custom exhaust, and
best of all electric start! It will be nice to retire the Tecumseh linkage.....
I will also be trying a Predator 8HP engine in it soon.
Note the original MW model/serial number tag. This model was the "straight" frame / "big front tire"
model. It does NOT break down in the middle like the T555. It is also
an original Tec 8HP motor.
I still am not sure of the proper MW model designation for this trike; although CESTAD offered this same trike in their
ad.

The original seat upholstery was cleaned and then covered with a car style bucket seat cover.
It uses the original Comet 20 series torque converter set up & a 41 chain.
The rear brakes were all rebuilt with new bands and fabricated stainless steel pins to properly
locate the band ends in the bracket so that they would "float" properly. This was important
so that relatively equal brake pressure could be applied from left to right for those all important
drifting slides!
I located a small battery pack just in front of the seat to power the new LED lighting set up.
The headlight is original, however, I have still not located the proper headlight ring/retainer for it.
Hence, a "dummy" headlamp fills the hole right now.
The tires were the single biggest cost item..... 22x12-8's on the back & 21x12-8 in front.
They take 5-6 lbs. of air pressure. 21x12-8 was the original size it came with.
I wanted very aggressive tread patterns for snow and soft turf riding. The front tire just clears the
original fender/mudflap set up...so, hope fully I won't get to splashed by slush!
Lastly, I painted it with Rustoleum metallic copper "hammertone" paint. Hammertone is VERY durable and has been used
on tool boxes, file cabinets, etc in the past. It resists chipping and scratching very well.
I intend to use it regularly & like the idea of being able to quickly change the power plant without
needing to modify the original chassis.

Now just need some snow around here!!

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0176.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0177.jpg

OK I really like the color I have used Hammertone but in the silver color and the tire choice is to me better than the compass square knobby
One thing missing and it is an properly fit air cleaner.
Steve

Thanks, Guys

Yes, Steve the carb is one of those after market jobs built with the snowblower style
choke. The carb works great , but I have to cut down the choke lever so I can re-install the original air cleaner.
I suspect it will idle a bit better, too once that's done. I've heard that these big Tec's need proper air cleaners and mufflers
to asure a good tune.....

I have to say , tho, it pulls pretty hard with that old Tecumseh HM80 in there!
Cruising speed was clocked at 26MPH & that was not wide open....!
m